Used 2000 Ford Focus Consumer Reviews - 307 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2000 Ford Focus

View reviews for a specific Focus model:

Don't do it!
By sumkindawonderful

2000 Ford Focus ZX3 2dr Hatchback

I recently destroyed my 2000 Toyota Echo ... nothing ever went wrong with that car, I just was an idiot and crashed it. I had to buy a new car and immediately fell in love with my 2000 Kona Edition Ford Focus ZX3. I thought it was an upgrade from my Echo: power windows, power door locks, good sound, good pick up ... definitely a downgrade. Ignition doesn't release key all the time. Recall on fuel pump which before fixed caused engine to stall at 70mph on busy California freeway. Small plastic piece on window regulator broke window; taped up. Check engine light on & transmission problems. Grinding brakes all the time. Turn radio down and volume goes up ... list goes on and on.

While it works it is fun to drive and pretty quick. When the seats reclining features work properly it is very cozy. Good sound. Trunk space very handy. I am sad because I love the look of my Kona; it's a pity I have to find a new car when I just got this one 2 months ago.

Stop selling 2000 Focuses. I am sure that the newer models have been designed better but I have read hundreds and hundreds (out of thousands) of complaints about this model and year ... just stop selling it (and reimburse us car owners hahaha).

I may be alone, but I love my '00 Focus!
By Cornicus

2000 Ford Focus LX 4dr Sedan

This car is the best car I've ever had. I bought it used, and it was a rental before it went up for sale. Sounds like a horror story right? WRONG! This car is fantastic. I love it. It is beyond reliable. I've had it going on 2 years, put 13000 miles on it, drive it every single day, and it just gets better and better. I've only had to deal with a thermostat, 1 recall, one old dead battery and 1 old dead battery cable. Even with those problems though, it would get me where I needed to go, no matter what. I love it, and I haven't read any good reviews so here's one. Best Car Ever! And adorable to boot! Main points: uber reliable, and if something does go awry, VERY simple to fix.

Adorable body, super reliable, simple to fix, and well ... he's my little buddy and I love him! Best car ever!

It rattles a little. But, not real bothersome for me.

Ford Focus ZX3 Mediocre Car
By pumkin

2000 Ford Focus ZX3 2dr Hatchback

The car is awful on gas, it currently leaks oil at 86000 KM's. It has its share of noises, but in the end it is reliable. Considering my 2000 Neon had bad spark plugs, broken springs, a rebuilt transmission, a new radiator and also leaked oil by the time it was 3 years old ... I can't complain. I love the little bubble design, which allows taller people to fit comfortably height-wise. The Zetec engine has enough power for its size, but mind you it's no racing machine. Finally, I can't stand how Ford has recalls that state "we will only pay if you know that this is the exact cause"... either you will replace a part that has been causing problems for Focuses or you won't.

It is pretty standard ... the instrument cluster is all right.

FORD FOCUS IS A LEMON!
By Genevieve

2000 Ford Focus ZX3 2dr Hatchback

I currently drive and own a 2000 Ford Focus. I haven't decided if this is the worst car I've ever owned or the Dodge Colt was. This car is in the shop every other month. I hate it with a passion & tell whoever I can not to buy one. Just wanted to make sure that my low marks on this dump would bring down the overall customer satisfaction that shows on the ratings.

NONE!

EVERYTHING! Especially the squeaky brakes. Doesn't matter what you do, they squeak. The car is horrible. I say stop making them. Because of this, I will never buy another Ford. This weekend I'm going to look at foreign cars!

Better Car than most in class
By jimKC

2000 Ford Focus ZX3 2dr Hatchback

Owned mine since new in 2000. Other than recalls that I think are positive, I've had a few minor repairs except for a transmission cylinder. Replaced front rotors at 50,000 miles of mostly city driving. Much less problems than 2 VWs I've owned but more than the Toyotas. But then again I only paid $13,500 new.

Handling, rivals most sports compacts twice the price. Hatchback utility, carries more than small SUVs. Mileage, 25-26: pure city, 31-33: highway depending on load and speed.

Bad am radio reception, poor cupholder position. Better original equipment tires.