Used 2011 Ford Flex Consumer Reviews - 20 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2011 Ford Flex

View reviews for a specific Flex model:

My Flex
By colman1

2011 Ford Flex SEL 4dr Wagon (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

Test drove the Durango, Pilot, Explorer, Edge, 4Runner,Highlander, MDX,Tahoe. Then there was the Flex. We loved the Flex but something was holding us back. It did everything better than everything we drove, is it the look? I kept telling my wife Form=Function, that is the beauty of the Flex. It is more than just skin deep.
We still held back, looked at the competition but the Flex kept calling us back. Which of these has the luxury, space, utility, style, technology and performance we wanted. None. Back to the Flex. Found a used 2011 SEL, bought it and love it. Don't miss out the Flex is great.

leather seats, 2nd row captain's with console, power liftgate, sony sound package, step in height, fold flat 3rd row

2011 Ford Flex California Review
By califdreamn

2011 Ford Flex SEL 4dr Wagon (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

With our 2001 Honda Odyssey mini van approaching 130K and on its third transmission, we set out to see what sort of new vehicle might fit our fancy.
I have had my eye on the Flex for some time but we also looked hard at the Mazda CX9.
For us, the Flex has the larger more comfortable cabin, a ridiculous amount of leg room in the second row, and the look of a poor man's Range Rover.
The CX9 has super supportive seating as well as a sporty ride and engine.
But the Flex has a uniqueness about it that nothing else compares to.
And, if you can still secure a 2011 with the hefty rebates, you will have a vehicle that pound for pound surpasses anything else.

The Flex SEL with the Leather/Sony sound package is all you need to wow the neighbors. The black leather seats with the white baseball stitching look and feel superb. The Sync system has lots of techy features making the Flex a cut above. The V6 and the 6 speed powertrain are smooth and powerfull. Although the Ecoboost engine enhances performance dramatically, I could not justify the substantial cost premium. Small touches like the puddle lights, electric rear hatch door, big 18" alloy wheels, satelite radio, sound from the bass thumping stereo, and the overall Flex quality make this a real winner.

For my taste, the brakes are a bit soft when applying pressure to the pedal. But I still feel secure and confident when stopping. Ford's reliabilty has been improving so I am anticipating this ride will treat me well. Imports are not perfect. With my Honda I spent plenty of time and money at the dealer's service counter. And with the Ford you will not have to pay $1,400 for a brake job like on a fancy german import. Time will tell, but I hope my smile 5 or 6 years from now is as big as it now driving the Flex. Do yourself a favor and at test drive the Flex. It is a highly underated vehicle that really is a great choice.

My Amazing Flex SE Ingot silver metallic charcoal black interior
By okla_doug

2011 Ford Flex SE 4dr Wagon (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

I decided to trade in my 2004 Jaguar XJ8. I went looking for an affordable crossover with comfort,room,standard features, and gas mileage. I have never owned a Ford. After driving the Flex I was sold instantly. It is comfortable, roomy,quiet,and great mileage. The list price was 32,000 but I was able to get it for 24,000. The options include second row club seats, sync, roof rails, and and tow package.

I really enjoy using the sync. The third row will actually hold two adults comfortably. I really like the fold flat second and third row seats. My Flex didnt have a second row console but I was able to order the same console that is used in the Taurus X crossover. It is available from Ford as an accessory. It fits identical to the Flex console. It installs in about ten minutes. It was $ 230.00. Flex doesn't offer a console unless you buy all the parts to assemble it for over $ 700.00.

I am completely satisfied with my Flex. I couldn't find any other vehicle come close to what Flex offers as standard equipment for such a great price.

Great vehicle overall beware dealer transfers!
By prjklass

2011 Ford Flex SEL 4dr Wagon AWD w/EcoBoost (3.5L 6cyl Turbo 6A)

Overall the flex is great however I was disappointed with missing paint on bumper (where bumper meets sheet metal), some squeaks in ceiling air ducts and undisclosed minor hail damage to my vehicle. I will never do a inter dealer transfer in the future. Further my dealer (Maclin ford) also told me the vehicle had no break in period. After I received the vehicle I was disappointed to read that there is a 1000miles break in where the engine speed needs to be varied. Unfortunately the dealer tranfer involved a drive of almost 1000m. Seems to me like ford sales either does not know the product they are selling or they were dishonest in order to fininsh the sale.

355hp, interior space and appearance. Sync system is great also. The phone system is the best I have ever used. Very comfortable seats. Panorama roof is very nice. Quiet cabin on highway.

Paint quality (see audi paint as an example of top quality) and fewer squeaks and rattles. Also sales team should learn product details such as break in requirement. Inter deler should have limited distance, otherwise should be trucked so that ford requirement are met. Leather and vinyl seating surfaces seem to crease too easily and remain after folding seats down. Also I dont like the loose fit of the leather on the seats.

Better than what I had read
By mcblaw

2011 Ford Flex Titanium 4dr Wagon AWD w/EcoBoost (3.5L 6cyl Turbo 6A)

I am in my mid 60's, & have driven muscle cars, subarus (lots of them), suburbans and pickups. I live in the foothills west of Denver @ 8000 feet.

So far this fall we have had about 20" of snow between two different snowfalls.
Although our new flex (purchased in early september) is not a high profile car, and it does not have dedicated 4 wheel drive, it has handled what nature has thrown at it. (we have an avalanche for the deep snow).

I LOVE this car, which is beyond my feelings about the many other cars I have owned.
It has great torque, and acceleration.
It has good gas mileage for its size (19 / 24 so far).

And, it is much cooler than I expected (gets lots of thumbs up)

The interior layout, and quality / the multi-sunroofs / the very quiet, and manageable ride and handling. I drive about 15 miles each way for my work on curves, and with an almost 3,000 foot elevation change. The mileage remains good, and the performance is more than up to the challenge of our foothills. The stability control absolutely flattens out the curves.

I don't know that I would term my comments as improvements. Rather, my suggestion to ford would be: 1st: Keep this car in your line-up in essentially its current configuration. 2nd: Keep it ahead of currenet design trends. Keep working at creating a niche car that generates buzz about your brand. 3rd: Continue to throw the latest gadgets into the car. Don't let your explorer brand set the standard. This model is expensive, but it is not stodgie (sp) or formal. So, give your customers the best of the latest "cool" stuff. It should continue to be eccletic (sp). Don't let it be blended into the rest of the product line.