Used 2009 Ford Flex Consumer Reviews - 184 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2009 Ford Flex

View reviews for a specific Flex model:

Overall, Hunk of Junk!
By kelsey_b19

2009 Ford Flex Limited 4dr Wagon AWD (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

My husband and I have had nothing but problems since we got our flex. What's worse is the countless number of times we have to take it in to the dealer. They do not acknowledge the fact that this car should be considered a lemon. It has a foul smell coming from the ac/heater, the brakes grind and pulsate when you apply pressure, the interior has a constant rattling sound, the front console latch broke off within one month of buying it, the cheap plastic air vent covers fell off within 6 months of buying the vehicle, and the transmission grinds, jerks, pops, and seizes up often. We bought it from ken grody ford in carlsbad, ca and they sold it to us with electrical problems in the headrest!

Overall I hate this car. I regret buying and the pretty exterior and fancy features are not enough to make me like it! I would declare it a lemon!

I suggest they actually fix what is wrong with the flex instead of making excuses as to why they have no responsibilty for fixing things that are covered under warranty.

2009 Flex Brake problems
By bassguy

2009 Ford Flex SEL 4dr Wagon AWD (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

I was happy with the ride and feel until I hit 20K, and noticed a momentary grinding when I applied the brakes.
Sometimes a gaslike smell was noticed after breaking.
Quite a bit of black dust seemed to accumulate on the two rear wheels.
At 25K a periodic squeal was noticed but the Ford dealer inspected and said the brakes were "good".
At 29.5K the brakes made a grinding sound and were visably scored (rear left).
My Ford Dealer said that "it wasn't a Ford problem because he didn't have a service
bulletin that dealt with this problem!".
Rather than have him repair with duplicate Ford parts, I took the car to a Goodrich dealer for new rear rotors and new upgraded pads.

The Ford Flex has a smooth ride and in a sense is a comfortable small truck (all seats fold down). When I am transporting adults they fit comfortably in the middle set of seats. The heated front seats are especially appreciated during the winter months. The sound system is a pleasure to use (there is no need for Sirous radio when you have a good CD player on board).

Make the steering wheel more adjustable (forward and back) so that the driver's seat doesn't need to be used to compensate for arm-length comfort. Having to move the seat forward makes it difficult to step out of the car without having to constantly re-adjust the seat.

POS
By btcadams

2009 Ford Flex Limited 4dr Wagon AWD (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

My wife and I drove numerous cars before deciding to purchase our 1st and last Ford vehicle. At first it seemed to be the answer to all of our needs. We purchased this car new in NOV 08. Within 6mnths,we had to take the car in to have the "sync" systems wiring harness replaced 4 times and the touch screen once! Within 16k miles (2 years) we had to replace the front rotors and brakes. And now just 11 months and 10k miles later, we now need to replace the front rotors again, the rear brakes and the rear rotors! Ford Corporate was of no help for this non-warranty item stating "normal/routine maintenance". Not to mention the horrible screeching sound that comes from the brakes, also "normal"

The amont of space in the 2nd row. The refrigerated rear center console. The vista roof.

better customer service, better quality parts under the hood and under the car, brakes, rotors etc. In addition to the problems with the brakes..the car also is showing signs of transmission problems now as well. We will never buy a Ford again.

Love the ride but the brakes...
By lynnderlou

2009 Ford Flex SEL 4dr Wagon (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

I have 52k on the car and the rear brakes are having to be worked on again. They are telling me that it is the "elements", if Michigan driving is a problem for the brakes on this car they may have a few problems to work out! The rear parking sensor has stopped working, and is not covered under warranty, too many blind spots for this short girl to try and navigate blindly!Love the ride and comfort of the car but i think i will have to move on from my first and probably last ford vehicle.

ride, interior space and comfort

braking system. audio for sync calls.

09 Ltd had it 1 1/2 yrs; starting to act like a lemon
By gelene

2009 Ford Flex Limited 4dr Wagon (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

i LOVE this car's comfort, style, buttons & cup holders where you need them.. ford always does a great job w/ that..

BUT UNDER THE HOOD.. not so much.. :(

after the last 2 fords (tauras & CV) i SWORE no more.. but loved the flex.. however its true colors are showing.. @25K already needed new tires, @30K newed brake & lifetime rotors replaced!?? 46K a/c is going out..WHAT?!! let me stress..we take it to the dealer & don't drive our cars hard, get regular oil changes, rotations, etc.
my toyota scion has 100K & only needed 1 set of tires & brakes @50K.. and NEVER needed anything else NOTHING!!! come on ford america, we can do better!

vista roof and sync, overall type/body type.. of ALL the cars we drove, and there were many.. it was the ONLY sedan/SUV where 3rd row was TOTALLy comfortable.. like a regular full seat..

suggested improvements...just make the darn thing to last & work like it is supposed to.. i'm afraid to ride in it just like i was in our crown vic b/c every time you turned around something else wasn't working.. or stopped working way earlier than the user's manual says...even when you take it in and do all the stuff you are supposed to do, when you are supposed to do it.. i'm fearful of how much extra the next 50K miles is going to cost us...