Used 2009 Ford Flex Consumer Reviews - 183 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2009 Ford Flex

View reviews for a specific Flex model:

Pros and Cons Ford Flex
By a david

2009 Ford Flex SEL 4dr Wagon AWD (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

Have had it about 1 month just finished a long trip down to Iowa and back. Here are my thoughts. Pros: Enormous amount of interior room esp for legs and head at all sitting positions. Boys love the ability to sit in diff places comfortably. AWD worked flawlessly in driving thunderstorm on highway. MPG better than expected ~23MPG @ 75mp. Rides and steers nicely. Have towed a popup camper and gear with no problems using factory tow package. Concerns: Needs telescoping steering wheel, adjustable headrests - no excuse Ford! Finding a comfortable driver's position can take time. Cannot buy a standard roof rack w/o factory rails. Door skins curve under car, probs w/paint chipping on gravel?

Room, ride, and space. Yes the looks it is nerdy sophistication, nothing else like it in the parking lot.

telescoping steering wheel, adjustable headrests, i would like a firmer drivers seat, my wife is fine with it. Door skins curve under the car. This provides cleaner lines and eliminates side rails but at what cost? We live down a dirt road and I fear paint chips and premature rusting.

Price / safety
By John

2009 Ford Flex SE 4dr Wagon (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

We needed a car for 3 kids and two adults. I did a lot of reading into crash tests -- not just the stars ratings, but the detailed crash test reports. 1. This is about the safest vehicle on the market. Don't overlook that it's heavy -- crash tests are about running into a car your size. Running into a heavier car is like a higher speed collision (to the lighter car). 2. Some complaints around the web are about MPG. There's no alternative noticeably better in this weight class/size. Most are worse. 3. Another con often mentioned is price. Flexes are quite reasonable right now. Ours was 22% below MSRP (after 3K rebate), and just under 6% below invoice, with virtually no haggling.

Safety; really quiet inside (there's a zen-like tranquility driving, at least without kids aboard); reasonably responsive; affordable. Doesn't look, sound, or drive like a minivan. My wife thinks it rides better than our 2004 XC70. USB drive music in and car diagnostic info out, via Sync.

Our Volvo has a folding key. They're actually handy. The Flex doesn't. Laminated front glass standard on all models would be nice.

Check under the hood!!!!
By blueacid40

2009 Ford Flex SEL 4dr Wagon (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

Have put 4300 miles on Flex by now. Good vehicle so far, not happy with quality of product. Check under your hood there is electrical tape wrapped around a piece that covers the wiring harness, it is located by the battery. Trying to get people to recognize this issue; to me this is unacceptable! Also there is a Special Service bulletin out for the Flex, if your door pillars have dents in them call your dealership!!

SYNC, ride, versatility

re-engineer harness cover, transmission shifting is horrible, telescope steering wheel

Fun and Not Boring!
By Scott D.

2009 Ford Flex SE 4dr Wagon (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

We wanted to replace our minivan and still needed to seat at least 6. I looked at this car and many others and kept coming back to the Flex. It grows on you quickly. Two months later and 5,000 miles already - I love it. I have had at least 6 strangers stop and look and ask me about it. Never had that happen with any other new car! I like that it is different than the usual common, boring SUVs, crossovers, and sedans. Tons of interior room for family. I am 6'-5" and this is the only car I have owned where the driver's seat is not all the way back. The boxy style helps with the engine compartment and the maintenance points (oil, battery, filters) are easily accessible.

Exterior styling, fun to drive, handles great, and has no trouble accelerating with the best of the them. Also like the Sync system (didn't think I would use it but do all the time now), four wheel auto anti-skid and anti-roll, rear backup warning, and thoughtful media control features.

It could use one more foot of depth in the cargo area, but you can fold down seats to give you the space you need if less than 7 on board.

1st time buying a new car
By Mike

2009 Ford Flex SEL 4dr Wagon AWD (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

This was our first family new car, ever. We looked at a bunch of models with similar features but Ford turned out to best suit our needs and budget. The salesman was great which was a huge added bonus. We opted for the SEL with AWD, DVD, Sync, and Lighting and Convienience package. Haven't done much with the sync but the bluetooth feature was easy to set up and calls on the cell were easy and clear. I would agree the headrest angle is a bit much and having a telescopic wheel would be nice, however with so many adjustments to seating this is easily overcome. It drives like it's on rails, and very smooth and quiet with enough feel of the road to help the driver. Very first class feel.

The audio system is excellent and I look forward to using Sync to call up our tunes. I also like how sturdy everything is, built like a tank and feels great driving. Did I mention the audio, wow!

Some interior materials could be tweaked (plastic molding is evident) and of course the headrest and telescopic wheel improvements would make this a slam dunk. The bottom of the doors have a seem on the exterior with a crude looking weld job. This could have been done better.