Used 2006 Ford Five Hundred SE Consumer Reviews - 23 Car Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific Five Hundred model:

2006's Most Underrated Car
By Unfamous

2006 Ford Five Hundred SE 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl CVT)

This car is really fun to drive, and is roomy beyond belief. Sort of feels like you're driving an SUV, but it's a sedan. Great on gas too!

The Command seating.

On SE models, I would have included automatic shut-off of the exterior lights.

Better than the Asian cars
By Domestic guy

2006 Ford Five Hundred SE 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl CVT)

The new Five Hundred is a nice full sized car with room to spare. I can put a ton of things in the trunk and people in the back seat can really stretch out. This car has so much more trunk space and leg room than the Toyota Avalon that I don't see why anyone would choose it over this. Of course more power would be welcome and gas mileage has been only so so but I'm sure will get better with more break in miles. Really ticked at Ford for eliminating the bodyside door molding for protection.

Interior and trunk space. Neat new transmissions that get a lot of power from what is available. Rides nice and seats are made of pleasing material. Lots of features for the money too.

Put back the bodyside molding! Bigger engine and crisper handling. Mileage could be a little better too. Also put 2-D on the shifter to slow down on the hills. Better warranty.

Fairly Good Full Size Sedan
By Freeagent35

2006 Ford Five Hundred SE 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl CVT)

This is a company issued automobile for me. The basic load out is decent (CD, power equipment). The vehicle is reasonably attractive and the seats are comfortable. Controls seem to be well designed. Good amount of interior storage (center console, door pockets; especially like the dash storage bay). Engine runs a little rough at times, but ok. The CVT transmission is a little odd and it feels like a car with a slipping clutch. But, CVT seems to increase gas mileage about 10% or more. Irritating engine noises, especially when cold. Fit and finish spotty (hood shakes at 70 mph and must be slammed to shut). Overall, not a bad auto. I may buy it when company sells it IF the price is low.

Center dash console. LATCH attachments in rear make child safety seat installation easy and secure. Good gas mileage for size and power. Secure road feel. With Continental tires, seems to be quite good in wet or snow/ice conditions.

Ford needs to continue to work toward the "Toyota" standard of fit and finish. Hood must be slammed or won't latch (unacceptable). Brakes make a tremendous amount of corrosive dust. Must wash wheels by hand or they will be stained. (This is not unusual, but the amount of dust is more than most).

Satisfied owner
By Steve Nemeth

2006 Ford Five Hundred SE 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl CVT)

I purchased my 2006 Ford 500 SE with the CVT transmission in November of 2005. It presently has 6,500 miles on it and is running great. I am very happy with this car and how well it is built. So far, it has lived up to my expectations. I read a lot of research about this car before I purchased. It does take time to get used to the CVT tranny and how it shifts. The car drives well. I can't really say its fun to drive, although it handles well. Fun driving to me, would be in a smaller sportier car.

I bought this car for its spacious trunk and roomy interior. I frequently have clients in my car and needed all the space I could get.

I am 5'8" tall and find that the legroom on the drivers side is just barely enough. The side view mirrors are enormous, which is great for viewing what is behind you. However, sometimes they obstruct what is in front of you.

Ford 500
By rollin

2006 Ford Five Hundred SE 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl CVT)

Purchased the Ford 500 with the CVT transmission on the SE model front wheel drive. The car has plenty of power for me. I like the size and quality that Volvo has added. The doors are well sealed with rubber and makes all road sounds a thing of the past. The air conditioner gets the car cool fast. The tires are 17 inch and are wide to hold the road, nice ride. It was a bargain with the employee discount, under $20,000. It is a nice safe car. Take your foot off the gas and it rolls freely. Getting about 18 miles to the gallon around town. Could do better in town with more careful driving.

The large trunk holds my 26 inch bicycle with space for many other things. Extra large back seat capacity. Beautiful lights on dash and around the driver side and driving wheel. Well equipped for a base model. People take notice and compliment me on my new car.

Light in the glove compartment.