Used 2005 Ford Five Hundred SE Sedan Consumer Reviews - 37 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2005 Ford Five Hundred Sedan

View reviews for a specific Five Hundred model:

CVT Transmission = Worthless
By Dee

2005 Ford Five Hundred Sedan SE Fwd 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6A)

Our family has owned many ford products but this one is a great disappointment. This car has been at a Ford dealership since June. The transmission went and Ford wants $5500 -$6500.00 to put in a new transmission that comes from China. Ford will not help in anyway. The looks beautiful but is not drivable. My daughter and I could have been killed on the turnpike because the car slipped into neutral when you tried to get above 50mph. Greatly disappointed with Ford.

Exterior and interior

Ford could use a transmission that is American made. Only the dealership is able to provide and care for this Trans. which makes it very costly.

Pepe1
By Pepe

2005 Ford Five Hundred Sedan SE Fwd 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6A)

I purchased this car for the leg room in the front and back seat area. Also for the trunk space. I realy liked the way the car looks and drives. I average 32 miles to the gallon with this car on the highway and about 22 in the city. I do a lot of road traveling and this car has never let me down for room, comfort and gas mileage. I true love this car.

Room, trunk, and seating areas. The comfort of riding in this car is amazing. It is like floating on air.

The center console is somewhat cramped. More room needed in the shifter area. Drink cups too close. Could be hieght seperated.

Ford 500 SE
By UMASS93

2005 Ford Five Hundred Sedan SE Fwd 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6A)

Third Ford that I have owned - step up from the Taurus. Now Ford plans to name this the Taurus due to lack of name recognition for 2008. Best car to have if you have a family. Higher off the ground that most sedans and consistently rates as one of the safest vehicles in a front and side collison. Gas mileage is acceptable, I have over 80,000 miles on my 2005. Live in MD and work in PA - 75 miles one way - average 28 mpg highway - have to love cruise control.

Lots of room. Very easy to place multiple car seats securely. Large trunk. Smooth ride - great car for long drives. Seats are comfortable and easy on the back and backside.

Engine is weak. Traveling on I 95 need to merge into traffic quickly and get to 65 mph ASAP. The acceleration does not respond well. Easy access to dash board componets. The light in my speedometer burned out. A full days job for the dealership in order to replace a $6 bulb.

Love this car!
By Doug

2005 Ford Five Hundred Sedan SE Fwd 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6A)

In the 30+ years I have owned cars, this is my first Ford and I love it. My 3 middle schoolers have more room in the back seat than Mom's Park Avenue. It handles very well, the CVT transmission is excellent. I am 6'2 and have plenty of room. More ponies would be nice, but it still gets up and goes! We like it so much, we are selling the wifes Buick and will purchase another 500, going with the Limited this time! For the money, it is a wonderful car. It rides well, handles great, lots of room and zooms down the road. I have always owned GM, so this is kind of tough for me!

Cabin room, handling, styling

None

Brake Problems With Ford Five Hundred!
By Dave

2005 Ford Five Hundred Sedan SE Fwd 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6A)

We purchased our Five Hundred in July 06 with 6000 miles. On our first trip I noticed a bad vibration during braking going down hills. I contacted the dealer and they said that a factory brake kit was needed to fix the problem. The kit consisted of new discs and pads. Now after approximately 16,000 miles after the replacement, the rear brake pads were shot and needed to be replaced for $200. I contacted Ford and they will not admit that there is a problem with the brake design. I've also had to have the gauge cluster replaced. I thought Ford finally had a "Better Idea". I guess I was wrong.

Interior room.

Redesign the brake system! Rear brakes should not wear out before the front brakes at only 16,000 miles. This is a safety issue and Ford needs to admit it.