Used 2004 Ford F-250 Super Duty Crew Cab Consumer Reviews - 58 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2004 Ford F-250 Super Duty Crew Cab

View reviews for a specific F-250 Super Duty model:

Expect Great Things ... For A While
By CalSurveyor

2004 Ford F-250 Super Duty Crew Cab 4dr Crew Cab XLT Rwd SB (5.4L 8cyl 6M)

This truck was everything I thought it would be. That is until the recall notices arrived. #1 was for a transmission problem that required the dealer to keep it for four valuable workdays. Following that visit, the "check engine" light was off and on intermittently. #2 visit was for a electrical harness problem. It required another four day visit to the dealer. Again, following that visit the "check engine" light was back on -- this time for good. When I called dealer, I was required to again take it in and leave it! Unbelievable. And to top it off - the only rental car available was a compact American car. Customer service means nothing to Ford once they've got your $$.

When I have it, the truck can pull my travel trailer (10,000 lbs.) very easily. Even the steepest grades are made at 60+ MPH! Four full sized doors are nice, too.

Improve the cup holders up front. Things tend to spill or fall when the slightest bump in the road is encountered. The coffee-stained carpet up front is the result. Improved lumbar support in the driver's seat would be a nice touch, too.

Powerstroke - Ford #1 priority is not quality
By Gary-Calif

2004 Ford F-250 Super Duty Crew Cab 4dr Crew Cab XLT 4WD SB (5.4L 8cyl 6M)

Bought a F250 Crew SB 4x4 in 9/04. Since 4/05; replaced front hubs (not releasing), replaced whole transmission even after recall fix was made 2 months earlier. Now in shop for engine problems, no power & thick black smoke. The 2004 has POOR turning radius, 2005 is smaller. Dealer has been great, but I think I got a LEMON! The diesel has the power but my unit does not instill confidence on a long trip. I've just been lucky my major part failures happened close to home. I used to trust Ford and recommend Ford, but not anymore.

Power for towing, 14 mpg with my boat (~4,000 lbs.) and power to spare. Mileage is OK (14-16mpg city/highway, 12-14mpg towing), but my friends with earlier 7.3L Powerstrokes claimed better mileage.

Improve quality. Had '89 F150 that had a never say "die" attitude regardless of what I towed or loaded up. My '95 could have used better brakes but never left me stranded. I'm just not trusting my 2004 with the problems I've had within 15K miles. Interior "pop-in" parts want to pop-out easily.

Should have bought a Toyota
By cadams

2004 Ford F-250 Super Duty Crew Cab 4dr Crew Cab Lariat 4WD SB (5.4L 8cyl 6M)

The test drive must have been on a really smooth section of freeway, because this truck delivers a kidney-bruising ride. Heck, I can't even use the cup holders because my coffee splashes out all over my nice leather. But the real killer is this: with only 3,000 miles it developed an oil leak. Now it's in the shop for the 3rd time (about 1 month that I've paid for a truck I can't use). The shop says they've pulled the motor out and are going to have to separate the bottom half of the block to replace an oil seal. I am disgusted since I'm sure the leak won't be fixed. Save yourself the hassle, get something else. I sure will.

The loaner cars that I get from the Ford dealer while my Exxon Valdez simulator is in the shop are pretty nice. Other than that, it's hard to say, since I haven't had the chance to drive it much. Only 6,000 miles, three 10+ day stays in the shop (plus an transmiossion recall), what's not to like?

Do I really need to say anything here?

My Semi
By Eric

2004 Ford F-250 Super Duty Crew Cab 4dr Crew Cab Lariat 4WD SB (5.4L 8cyl 6M)

I went from a F-150 to the F-250 diesel. Man, what an improvement. This F-250 has great power. Better fuel milage than my F-150. It still could do a little better. I am averaging 15. It handles better with a trailer than the '93 F-150. Brakes are better. I would make minor changes in the front bench seat. When the center seat is down in the armrest postion, small items can fall from the front seat to the back floor board. My entire family calls this pickup "The Semi." Great feeling pulling up to a stop sign beside other "inferior" pickups. Ford could have made a full flow oil filter for the transmission instead of a bypass filter. Great truck!

I love the diesel.

How about Ford making their own "diesel computer chip" with two setting. One setting for better economy and the other at current setting for power.

BADASS TRUCK

Past Year,1,400 Mile's Round Trip.Total
Fuel Cost With DIESEL And Five Speed
AUTOMATIC,$100.00 AMERICAN.At Avg.SPEED
OF 75MPH,,,WHOW!!!!!

THE WHOLE TRUCK,BUMPER TO BUMPER!!!

NONE!!!