Used 2003 Ford F-250 Super Duty Consumer Reviews - 62 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2003 Ford F-250 Super Duty

View reviews for a specific F-250 Super Duty model:

6.0l Diesel going strong.
By JessH

2003 Ford F-250 Super Duty 4dr SuperCab Lariat 4WD SB (5.4L 8cyl 6M)

I bought the truck used back in '05. The previous owner must have had the engine injectors and turbo changed (a common problem with the first 6.0l diesels), because this thing has been a powerhouse for me, never a problem. Now that its getting older, and has 100,000 miles, I am still pulling horse trailers, and loving the power. My only qualm is a weird rattle from the frame SOMEWHERE (can't seem to find it when not moving). I couldn't be happier with the truck, and will probably hold onto it for another 3 years, then give it to my daughter as her first vehicle (she can pull her own horse trailer then!).

Lariat interior, very comfortable. Hitch even has a small ring for the trailer e-brake cable. Truck looks good with a 1-size up oversize tire on stock rims. Oil filter is easy to change, and the truck has a great wine from the turbo.

Lower fuel filter extremely hard to change, as its inside the frame rail, behind brake lines. Air Filter is hard to change, due to lack of space, and the HUGE size of the filter. Front boots wear easily, and are hard to replace.

Best Truck on the market
By SSG David

2003 Ford F-250 Super Duty 4dr Crew Cab XLT 4WD LB (5.4L 8cyl 6M)

Loved this truck, performance was great. Used to call it my big sports car. Never had any mechanical issues at all, how ever it chewed thru tires once a year in the front end. Power when needed and a soft relaxing ride. I would buy another in a heart beat. The V-10 drank the gas like it was going out of style in the city but on the highway it was fair.

I would have to say in the end it was the saftey features that became my favorite part of hte truck. Rolled it 7 times and my Wife and I once cut out walked away with out a single scratch.

Have a chip or something that could down grade the V-10 to a V-8 when not needed like dodge is doing. The rear bench seat should fold down to a bed.

Ford Tuff!
By Groovy Gary

2003 Ford F-250 Super Duty 2dr Regular Cab XLT Rwd LB (5.4L 8cyl 6M)

Words cannot completely express the attributes of this truck. I was very hesitant about purchasing a what? V10 But oh my Gawd this engine is as smooth as a baby's bottom with fresh talcum powder on it. The truck is truely amazing. I love it! The ride is nice and smooth, the interior is nice and comfortable, the suspension is strong as an ox and the power to pull is overwhelming. Great truck!

The V10 engine and the seats as well as the center console and door compartments. The ride height is wonderful too.

Adjustable shocks for different terrains. Supercharger or turbo charger for the V10

A wonderful hauler
By Paul

2003 Ford F-250 Super Duty 4dr SuperCab XL Rwd SB (5.4L 8cyl 6M)

I have a 7.3 diesel. It's a wonderful hauler! The truck is very stable when hauling 2 yards of dirt or our 5th wheel trailer. I haven't modified the powertrain and see no need to. The economy of the diesel is about 14 in town and 19 highway; and about 11 with the trailer. Top build quality, over 100,000 miles and no squeaks. If you need to move heavy stuff, this is the one. If you only want a truck to look cool, the half-tonners are better for that. This is a serious work truck.

Drive train

More factory guages

Transmission not so good
By E Morenus

2003 Ford F-250 Super Duty 4dr SuperCab XLT 4WD LB (5.4L 8cyl 6M)

I own a '03 7.3L powerstroke, at the lake the transmission went out with only 52,000 miles on it. I took it to the dealer figuring the 100,000 mi powertrain warranty would cover it, it didn't. $ 4,000 later and the new transmission (refurbished I add) has a better warranty than the origional one. I'm dissapointed when I pull 14000K worth of equipment. I've heard wonderful things but haven't experienced the greatness of the 7.3L. Soon trade for a new twin turbo F-350 or a Dodge Cummins

Mileage for such a heavy truck. Pulling light trailers is easy, you don't know it's there. 4WD works wonderfully in any condition. Beat the heck out of it and it'll keep going. Great work truck.

Braking (very hard on truck), origional transmission needs to be able to handle more than 30,000 miles before warranty ends. $110 oil changes. $175 fillups (not Ford's fault.) window motor makes noises when rolling down.