Used 2011 Ford F-150 Consumer Reviews - 61 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2011 Ford F-150

View reviews for a specific F-150 model:

review
By Bob

2011 Ford F-150 XLT 4dr SuperCrew 4WD Styleside 6.5 ft. SB (5.0L 8cyl 6A)

all good

Should have stayed with Ram
By Matt davis

2011 Ford F-150 FX4 4dr SuperCrew 4WD Styleside 6.5 ft. SB (5.0L 8cyl 6A)

5.0 coyote replaced under warranty at 58k tapping noise. After new motor had oil leak tapping noises from pass side head. Sync module went bad. Back up camera quit. Rear window defrost quit/shattered window. Vibration when towing. Third brake light was leaking now cab corners and rockers are rusting threw. Been doing research and all these issues are common with the 12th gen f150. If it wasn't for all the problems would be great truck it's a shame that ford doesn't care. I went threw hell to get motor replaced and didn't offer a rental car

Up n down
By Up n down

2011 Ford F-150 Lariat 4dr SuperCab Styleside 6.5 ft. SB (5.0L 8cyl 6A)

I have replaced both turbos, timing chain, two rear end wiring harness's, various electronic gauges and lights, all of the injectors, and spark controls,, water pump. I've spent almost 8,000.00 on repairs. This is insane. Back to dodge!!!

ecoboost, tough but sensitive
By the guy who owns the truck

2011 Ford F-150 XLT 4dr SuperCrew Styleside 5.5 ft. SB (3.7L 6cyl 6A)

Love at first sight, that was me and my truck. It was a compromise for me to buy a truck with a V6. Then I drove it. Per the salesman's instruction I stomped on the accelerator while merging onto the highway and was promptly rewarded with a pretty aggressive push back into the seat. So, yeah...nice. Further research told me not to expect Ford's advertised fuel economy of 20+ mpg to be my reality. More like 17mpg for a tenderfoot driver or 14-15mpg for someone who drives like me. Fair enough. It's a truck, nor a Prius. Also, I have owned Japanese and German turbos in the past so I wasn't scared of a more modern take on achieving horsepower. The interior is spacious. Cavernous compared to my 1991 F-250. I am not in the same financial realm as GMC and Chevrolet...which is weird because nobody seems willing to loan me billions of dollars. They got a bailout but their prices don't reflect any appreciation or acknowledgment. Comparable Dodge products offer none of the comfort or resale value and their interiors feel more like a failed attempt to deliver happiness on a budget. The seats of my truck are cloth and that's fine with me. I have 3 kids, an English Mastiff, and all four of them treat my vehicles with much less reverence than I would like. So my truck is adorned with WeatherTech floor mats and water-resistant Skanda seat covers. Hooray! The Synch interface is simple to operate for a family that uses Android phones and tablets. The climate control is dependable and comfortable. Cold in the summer and HOT in the winter. All controls and gauges are easily read and understandable. I drive with the wheel tilted full down more like a car and I am always aware of my truck's operation profile. The exterior is strong. The nose-down stance is great for aerodynamics, I'm sure. However, I prefer my truck to be truck-ish so I installed a leveling kit and like the results much more than the factory offering. With the leveling kit in place there is more room for wheels and tires to fill the wheelwells. The bed is coated with LineX lining and it is perfect. The finished grain is ok for keeping most heavier things in place...particularly if I put down a rubber mat or a moving blanket. I've seen other linings that use a super aggressive grain that is very uncomfortable on kids knees and bare feet while at the beach, lake, or camping. Now...here's my little testimonial regarding MY OWN observations of the gremlins that reside in MY truck. The plugs are not going to make it to the factory designated change interval. The motor eats plugs like my kids eat Doritos on a 4th of July picnic. The result is an unpleasant and unexpected cut-out while under acceleration. Not Formula 1 acceleration, although it definitely would. I mean graceful and passive acceleration from going 75mph up to 80mph to pass a slow motorist on a four lane interstate, at 2500rpm. The jedi-master-mechanic who maintains my truck says this is the nature of the beast. We've simply accepted the unpleasant fact that plugs and coils are going to have to be changed at a higher frequency than Ford dictates. And Bosch platinum plugs are not a fix. The force of the turbos will extinguish the spark like a water hose versus a match. I'm not a mechanic, but I trust mine and he tells me to just plan for more frequent plug and coil changes. So far, so good. What I can do, and have done is to address each and every scheduled maintenance item puntually and make routine checks along the way. This isn't my dad's 1978 ford truck. Technology and redundancy of systems monitoring have supplanted the good old days of the average weekend wrencher. My 1979 CJ-7 was a diy dream come true. This F-150 bears more in common with my BMW 525i or my Audi A4 than it ever would to my old Jeep. Accepted. It's an overall victory. It's just sensitive. Finally, my family and I were returning home from a vacation this fall when we were rear-ended on a congested urban interstate. We were hit with enough force that we were pushed into the truck in front of us. The bed of my truck was collapsed inward and the rigid tonneau cover was pushed into the back passenger side window (not the side window, but the right 1/3 window immediately being my son's car seat. The window shattered, the bed was kaput, both bumpers were buggered, the guy who hit us actually sheared the 2" ball from my receiver hitch insert. Long story short, the truck was not pretty. Longer story shorter, my wife, my 3 young kids, and myself were fine. We actually stayed long enough to fill out the accident report and then off we went. We drove another 300 miles with duct tape over the window but all major systems worked just like they always did. The truck is now repaired and serviced and raring to go another 70K miles...or 170K, I hope. Yes, I love it. Yes, my family loves it, and yes, I would recommend it. It just needs more attention than a truck of old.

Great vehicle for work, or play
By Robert Boston

2011 Ford F-150 XLT 4dr SuperCrew 4WD Styleside 5.5 ft. SB (5.0L 8cyl 6A)

This is a great general purpose pickup! It's a little light for towing bigger loads, but smaller trailers, etc. it works fine. Great appearance that gets good comments. Virtually no maintenance issues beyond the normal, brakes, etc. It has been a great pickup. Mileage could be better at interstate speeds. It will get 20 mpg at 65, but slips to 17-18 at 75-80 mph.