Used 2009 Ford F-150 Consumer Reviews - 96 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2009 Ford F-150 Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific F-150 model:

smiles per mile
By denny d

2009 Ford F-150 XLT 4dr SuperCab Styleside 8 ft. LB (5.4L 8cyl 6A)

the only trouble i had was with the variable valve timing system. very expensive repair that should not have happened so early in its mileage life

The good and the bad
By Josh

2009 Ford F-150 Lariat 4dr SuperCrew Styleside 5.5 ft. SB (5.4L 8cyl 6A)

I bought my 2009 F150 SuperCrew 4x4 Lariat right at the cusp of 2016 used with only 42,000 miles on it. All in all it's been a mostly great truck to the point that I'm going to keep it, forever. I've used my truck for a variety of things in the time I've owned it and I've had my ups and downs with it. I've hauled with it, I've done serious off roading with it, highway driving, city driving, you name it I've probably done it. Being as I'm also a mechanic when I have the time I do all my own work on it too so understand that my perspective on things is a little different than yours the average consumer is going to be. In total these trucks are solid trucks. They may not be the fastest or best in a few areas but in total so long as you take care of this truck it will take care of you. One of the most common complaints I hear about these trucks are specifically with the 5.4 3V engines. I personally cannot stress enough that regular oil changes with quality oil filters is critical for these engines. The power available from the factory is not a concern for me personally as I will modify my vehicles to get more performance but for you who is reading this who may not it's best described as adequate. Due to some of the things I used to do specifically off roading, I've had various issues due to the nature of just off roading in general so I don't credit that against the overall reliability of the truck however I will include them. I've been through one transfer case, 3 assemblies, an AC compressor and evaporator core, one radiator (the plastic tank on one side cracked due to heat cycles as it will eventually on all vehicles that have some age on them), 2 CV axles (again off roading attributed), and both timing chain tensioners as they blew the seals out causing the chains to rattle. As far as electrical problems the only thing I had go out on me was one backup sensor. As far as issues with bodywork my advice is to take some silicon and seal the 3rd brake light as well as drill a drain hole in each cab corner. This area is notorious to leak from the brake light down along the inside and pool water inside the cab corners causing them to rust. As far as interior issues the passenger interior door handle cracked (probably a manufacturing issue). Other than all of that the truck has held up well and I've had it long enough to where I've begun modifying it significantly from stock. All in all compared to what I've payed for it when I first bought it versus overall satisfaction and use I'd buy it again if given the same chance. As long as you stick with OEM parts repairs are generally not bad and surprisingly you can do a lot of it yourself. In general if you buy one of these trucks and know the issues with them you won't be in for any surprises just make sure you get one with a previous maintenance history that has been taken care of and you can avoid some of the horror stories you may have heard about. To finish up this review please note that my MPG will not reflect yours as my truck is heavily modified.

GoodTruck
By Brad

2009 Ford F-150 Platinum 4dr SuperCrew 4WD Styleside 5.5 ft. SB (5.4L 8cyl 6A)

I am extremely happy with the vehicle.

Next truck will be a Toyota
By Britman

2009 Ford F-150 FX4 4dr SuperCrew 4WD Styleside 5.5 ft. SB (5.4L 8cyl 6A)

I will start by saying i must have purchased the lemon from all the other reviews i have read. I purchased mine in 2010 with 15000 miles on it, a beautiful black supercrew FX4, loved it up until thw 36000 mile warrenty expired. Then it started. Drivers lumbar support stopped working, half the speedometer and tackometer lights are out, rear door handle broke in half. Thats the interior. After the powertrain warranty ran out 60000 Miles I walked out to my truck one day and half the transmission fluid was on the driveway, I didn't want to drive it so I had it towed to the transmission place. I was told it was 4 quarts low. Two seals had gone so they replaced those and changed the fluid and told me it was good, never been the same since and I'm just waiting for it to go. I will say besides that it has never let me down and I do still think its a beautiful truck but I will never buy another one. It now has 78000 miles

Love my f150
By Danny

2009 Ford F-150 XLT 4dr SuperCab Styleside 5.5 ft. SB (4.6L 8cyl 6A)

I will always be back for an f150. My truck has been phenomenal for 7 years and has held value so well. I do all my own maintenance. The processes are simple and fairly easy to perform for the regular maintenance schedule. Parts are not expensive and the oem parts last as they should.