Used 2005 Ford F-150 Consumer Reviews - 322 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Ford F-150

View reviews for a specific F-150 model:

Over 202k miles!
By kgaston

2005 Ford F-150 4dr SuperCab STX Rwd Flareside 6.5 ft. SB (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

I have logged over 202 thousand miles on this truck since it was bought used in January of 2007. Major repairs: none. Minor repairs: replaced EGR valve at ~175k miles, other than that, it has been just regukar, routine maintenance. My only complaint is the quality of the cloth seats in this vehicle, they easily trap dirt and dust, causing them to stain if so much as a bottle with condensation on the outside is placed in the seat.

Plenty of power, good audio system, plenty of cup holders and storage space up front.

Definitely different cloth material for the seats

Ford F-150 V8 5.4 Liter
By ttfndude

2005 Ford F-150 4dr SuperCrew Lariat Rwd Styleside 5.5 ft. SB (5.4L 8cyl 4A)

This is a worthless truck. They saw this sucker coming a mile away. I bought this truck 5 months ago and have had it in the shop multiple times for issues. Now the is down and they want $500 to see why it went bad or they want $7000 to replace the engine. I wish I had been able to see these reviews prior to buying the truck or I would have bought a junker, they last longer. Long Mcarthur Ford is not concerned they sold me a lemon they knew they did, I was just the unfortunate sucker who got it. Now I have my very first nice newer vehicle I have ever bought as an $11,000 lawn ornament. I guess back to the bargain basement for me.

When it ran

The engine, brake system, and probably other systems I didn't have a chance to break down on me.

Good so far
By brunswick592

2005 Ford F-150 4dr SuperCrew Lariat 4WD Styleside 5.5 ft. SB (5.4L 8cyl 4A)

I bought this truck mid-summer 2014, It had 75k miles on it and was babied by the one owner. I bought it with a 6" suspension lift on 35' Nitto trail grapplers. I had a 2009 Avalanche prior to this and so far I'm liking the Ford better. The truck runs great with the big lift and tires and has no problem getting into gear. My gas mileage is on average 8-10. It's expensive but I knew what I was getting into. From everything I have read, people have had many problems with the 5.4. So far I haven't had any problems, but the ticking noise coming from the engine is only getting louder every oil change. I sure hope she doesn't have any major problems down the road

The leather seats, wood trim, the taillights, the gauges, the overall setup.

interior lights, the oil filter position, backseat cup holders, a sturdier gear box.

Would not recomend
By nick19d

2005 Ford F-150 4dr SuperCab XLT 4WD Styleside 8 ft. LB (5.4L 8cyl 4A)

I have the short bed version of this package. First off the truck does its job as long as you don't abuse it. The clicking noise that is often heard is the cam phaser. It is a $2700.00 dollar repair and it will not stop the clicking noise (as admitted by Ford) the noise may stop for up to two weeks but will continue indefinitely after that. The only way to get it to stop is to purchase what is called the "Cam Phaser Lockout Kit" which is $700.00. I have put 80K miles on the truck and it has clicked since day one. have not had an issue with it truck runs good. Only other problems were the tensioner and the fuel pump module. which is a recall item no discount from ford $69.00 bad engineering.

I slid sideways into the ditch twice with this truck in the oil fields in North Dakota. both times there was no hint of rolling (the heritage editions were notorious for rolling and the cabs collapsing) speaking from experience. With a slightly larger tire (265/70) the truck has a more "aggressive stance" which helps offset how top heavy the truck is. This truck has spent its life in the oil field and has done everything I have asked of it and more. Including starting every morning without being plugged in at temperatures that reached -40 and below. All in all a good truck but would not buy another one.

The interior stains easily and takes a lot of scrubbing to clean it. The timing chain/cam phaser design is ridiculous and should have never been approved by Ford. The clicking noise can be embarrassing and it does get louder as the truck ages. But if the cost of the repair is too great (around $3400) and it does not bother you then don't get it fixed. I have put 80K miles on mine and it has clicked since day one. More interior storage space would be nice. Pack light!!!

F150 for life
By f150freak

2005 Ford F-150 4dr SuperCrew FX4 4WD Styleside 5.5 ft. SB (5.4L 8cyl 4A)

This is my second F150 I've owned and I'm so happy with the results! These trucks offer both power, longevity and reliability. I'm at 118k miles, owned this for 2 years and haven't seen a single problem (aside from a cylinder mis-fire which turned out to be a spark plug out of place) I love the look of the truck and the 5.4 is the dominator! The power behind the wheel is awesome, I've taken other (stock) trucks and not that speed is everything, but it holds its own and cleans their clocks. I would absolutely recommend this truck to anyone looking for a lighter truck (non-diesel) that will tow and is fun to drive.

Favorite features is the interior! The look and design is modern and very clean. It's very spacious as well. Another favorite feature is the look as a whole (especially with a lift kit :)

I would only suggest a slight improvement in the seat comfort. Given it's designed a bit more modern than most of it's year, it's not bad at all. But if you're on long drives, I tend to have to reposition myself a bit. Overall, great truck and I will be buying again.