Used 2004 Ford F-150 Consumer Reviews - 669 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Ford F-150

View reviews for a specific F-150 model:

GREAT TRUCK
By automaticj5

2004 Ford F-150 4dr SuperCrew Lariat 4WD Styleside 5.5 ft. SB (5.4L 8cyl 4A)

I LOVE THIS truck. Much improved over an already great '03 F150. I like driving my '04 F150 better than I did my Cadillac that I traded in for it. Lacks a little in the "fast" category. But I didn't buy it to race. Love the design, very quiet inside.

Interior and exterior design, VERY VERY quiet inside.

F150 Regular Cab 4x4 XLT
By Mike

2004 Ford F-150 2dr Regular Cab XLT 4WD Styleside 8 ft. LB (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

I love this truck... I've had a 89 F150 XLT, 97 Expedition, 2001 SuperCrew and now the 04 F150 XLT and I can't rave enough on how good this truck is. Towing is a dream, power is excellent, brakes are great, steering is tight and responsive. Only problems were a warranty recall on the rear axle, and a recurring dead battery since year one, which is a bad battery, but Ford won't replace it. I'm going to try one more time, before our Minnesota winter to get them to pony up. Did the K&N filter and cut off the stock muffler for a Flowmaster 3" 3 chamber SUV series muffler and this thing sounds great without droning at any speed. I still get 15 mpg avg summer and 13 mpg avg winter! I drive it hard.

Towing ability. Power brakes. Appearance. Standard XLT features - power windows, brakes, heated mirrors, compass, 6 CD changer in dash, nice sound system, auto headlamps, etc.

Lower the truck a little. It's a 4x4, and the bed floor is 34 inches above the ground. There's 10" over each wheel to the bottom lip of the fender. It could be 6" lower without sacrificing any offroad capability.

2004 F 150 Lariet 2wd
By Steve

2004 Ford F-150 4dr SuperCab Lariat Rwd Styleside 6.5 ft. SB (5.4L 8cyl 4A)

I bought this for me and my wife took it and I only see it on weekends. It tows a 7000 lb travel trailer with no issues even over mountain passes. Great truck.

Premium sound is great, good power and great brakes.

More seat travel, and seats that you sit in not on top of (no lateral support ) Put real truck tires on, not P series car tires.

Happy with my STX
By STX in North Dakota

2004 Ford F-150 4dr SuperCab STX 4WD Styleside 6.5 ft. SB (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

GM owner all my life. Had a VW Jetta before this truck. In the shop more than a 3rd of the time I owned it. I now have this truck and a GMC Sierra SLT. I would say that between both of the trucks I would rather drive the Ford. More comfortable inside with STX package than GMC with leather and all the goodies. I would rather tow with the GMC, way more power. Both get equal MPG when not towing. Styling is better on the Ford. For an extended cab the Ford has more room for my sons car seat in the back. The 4.6 motor is definitely underpowered for serious hauling but works great for commuting and hunting/fishing. Pulls a small boat/camper with no problem. Would not tow more than that.

Interior room and quality. Looks great! Decent MPG 13.83 city and 17-19 highway. Seat comfort, Ride height, bed space. If you don't want to waste $5,000 go with the STX package unless you have to have power windows/locks. Stick with the smaller motor unless you are going to tow heavy trailers!

Put better tires on it from the factor General Ameritracs are garbage! Spray in liner from the factory.

EXCELLENT WORKHORSE
By MATT

2004 Ford F-150 2dr Regular Cab XL 4WD Styleside 8 ft. LB (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

Owning this truck has been very good, Mine is a basic no-frills model but compared to the competition this is an excellent choice, Skip the Hankook tires if you can, poor winter traction. The paint on front of the box behind the doors on the bottom is prone to early chipping. 4.6 engine is sufficient for most uses, 17 mpg avg. If you pull trailer a lot the 5.4L engine is a better choice, even if unloaded mileage is lower, around 15 mpg avg. Floor shift 4wd is simple and easy to use. Auto transmission shifts flawlessly. A/C is good, as is the heater. The 8 foot box is very deep, you can get to your GVWR quickly, with dirt, rock or whatever. At max load there is no sway or unexpected surprises.

Rear doors on a regular cab! Also extra room behind the seats.

HID headlights, Don't get me wrong, The headlights are good but some long range high beam lights would be nice. Standard seats could use a little softer foam.