Used 2004 Ford F-150 Consumer Reviews - 668 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Ford F-150

View reviews for a specific F-150 model:

Cost of Ownership
By jk123

2004 Ford F-150 4dr SuperCrew FX4 4WD Styleside 5.5 ft. SB (5.4L 8cyl 4A)

Bought my 2004 F-150 SuperCrew new. Had to make a decision between the Ford and the Nissan Titan, bad decision on my part as it turns out. Currently on my 5th set of tires at 61,000 miles, had to replace brake rotors during the first break job, the tranny slips and Ford has not been any help. The customer service rep from Ford Motor Co. tells me they have done all they can do. The cost of ownership and the time spent taking this truck back and forth to the dealer is ridiculous. Sorry Ford, I have given up on you guys. If the Japanese want to take over the US truck market you should at least make them work for it and not just give it to them!

Driver's captain chairs and seat height is very comfortable.

Get your act together from an engineering perspective prior to making any more "improvements" related to the suspension system or rack and pinion steering. This truck EATS tires! If you are going to advertise 300HP I think the customer should expect 300HP, not the pseudo 300 this trucks puts out.

Good looking poor quality
By fbi08351

2004 Ford F-150 4dr SuperCrew FX4 4WD Styleside 5.5 ft. SB (5.4L 8cyl 4A)

I love the way the SuperCrew looks and drives, however the workmanship is below par. I have had to replace the front drivers seat twice before the warranty expired because it was falling about at the seams. The back seat had to be replaced because water was leaking around the cargo light on the top. I was told this was a common problem. The seats stain if any liquid is spilled on them including water. Also had to have tranny repair at 25,000 miles. I am a business man that only uses vehicle for light duty.

I love the looks of the SuperCrew.

Interior seats need a make over.

The best of the best
By Boiseman

2004 Ford F-150 4dr SuperCab Lariat Rwd Styleside 6.5 ft. SB (5.4L 8cyl 4A)

I bought this vehicle lightly used and have been extremely happy with it. I had looked over other reviews of all other makes/models and overall the Ford F-150 was the leader in 2004. Pickup is peppy and the ride is smooth. Steering is very tight and responsive. I very much like the layout of the dash instruments. Quality of workmanship appears excellent. Time will tell on the engine and other mechanics.

My favorite feature is the way the heat/air can be adjusted in almost any way you wish. The other thing I like is the information in digital format on the dash. Right where you see it easily.

If you are parked in a grocery store lot with other cars on each side of you, you cannot get a cart into the space to unload groceries into the rear compartment. Putting bags in the bed has groceries all over the bed. Door needs to open flat to the side.

Beware
By jc

2004 Ford F-150 4dr SuperCrew XLT Rwd Styleside 5.5 ft. SB (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

I traded in a 97 Silverado for this truck. It was a serious mistake. I went from a 5.7L engine to the 5.4L and my mileage was 1/2. The power was much greater in the Silverado, and the ride was outstanding. The F-150 shakes at each stop, even with that big V8, the defrost and a/c seriously effect the engine. The plastic in the interior is cheap, and the seats are uncomfortable. My truck has the tow package, and with pulling a small Boy Scout trailer the trucks performance was greatly effected. My truck only has 63,000 miles on it. Best suggestion, look to another manufacturer for a better truck.

None.

Improve the power, and the cheap interior. Increase fuel economy. Fix the powertrain so the the truck doesn't vibrate every time you slow down or stop.

Until gas is $5.00/gallon....
By EJ

2004 Ford F-150 4dr SuperCab XLT Rwd Styleside 6.5 ft. SB (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

I've tried to convince myself to look at other vehicles (for fuel economy only), but I can't get away from Ford F Series! This is my third one; I've leased a 2000 XLT, 2002 XLT, and now a 2004 XLT. My lease on the '04 is up in six months, and I'll be stepping up to a SuperCrew (but sticking to an XLT). I love the interior room (I'm 6'5" and have plenty of headroom to spare), along with the big captain's chairs. My '02 had a bench seat in the front, but I missed having that huge center console. I don't mind the simple plastic features of the dash; if I wanted luxury, I wouldn't be in a truck. The radio is fine; plus, the cabin is SO quiet, you don't need a loud sound system.

Lots of interior head, foot, and body room. Big center console and bucket seats. Extremely quiet driving, even at 80 MPH. Smooth acceleration. Bold appearance. Drives like a Cadillac. Very powerful 5.4 liter V8 engine.

Get rid of those squeaky brakes and the annoying brake dust on the wheels! I have to wash the front wheels once a week to keep them clean. Dealers told me there's nothing wrong with the brakes. They feel fine, but make much noise. Fuel economy to improve with a hybrid coming in '08? Rumor?