Used 2003 Ford F-150 Consumer Reviews - 210 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Ford F-150

View reviews for a specific F-150 model:

One Awesome Truck!
By tearex63

2003 Ford F-150 2dr Regular Cab SVT Lightning Rwd Flareside SB (5.4L 8cyl S/C 4A)

I purchased this truck in December 2012 with 54K miles on it. The truck had already been modified with an oversized blower drive pulley, tuner, cold air package & Bassani exhaust. I had the truck dyno tested
and it pulled 383 HP at the rear wheels. Needless to say, this truck is WICKED fast. Random people come up to me and compliment me on how cool it is. I love the sound of the blower coming on and the fact that I can light the tires any time I feel like it. Starts and runs just like a regular truck, great exhaust tone & instant throttle response. Only bad thing is the 10 MPG around town, but what the heck, I've got motorcycles & junky cars to
drive to work.

Fast! Reliable & comfortable.

This truck is perfect in every way

Final Update Until Next Pivotal Moment

2003 Ford F-150 4dr SuperCab XLT 4WD Styleside SB (4.6L 8cyl 5M)

In my previous reviews, I didn't get to emphasize how much the 2003 Ford F-150 was a good value for money, because even though a lot of wear items went bad at once, the fact that once we got them done it's back to running like it was when we got it if not better, and for $6581 out the door (granted the previous owner had kept the second coded key and the key fobs, but they later got replaced) means that the truck had everything we wanted and just by taking care of it its back to taking care of us. I would like to say that if you keep a vehicle long enough, you're going to have to replace various components. If you like the vehicle well enough, you will find it worthwhile, if not, oh well.

V8 engine, auto transmission, virtually everything in the vehicle is a feature now that the wear items are content for the moment. There isn't a single thing I don't like, because I agreed to accept occasional ankle complaints to get us something that "just works". And looks good despite a sign of wear here and there. I would marry it if I could. (No woman would want me as I can be very temperamental.)

Make the previous owners carry out scheduled maintenance on time so that my poor Daddy doesn't have to replace a whole bunch of things just to get it to run right. And emphasize that any Ford, no matter how intermediate between classic and current, or on either extreme, is still better than driving Chrysler or GM crap. (If EcoBoost was worth the outlay we'd have already bought it.)

Frustrated that certain things are hard to get to, but!

2003 Ford F-150 4dr SuperCab XLT 4WD Styleside SB (4.6L 8cyl 5M)

The but is when you fix all the issues that were piling up it sits there and is about to stand up and tap dance for you-and on regular gas if you can choose a standard, non-supercharged V8 (if you must have the most power, you have to spend more money.)

Turns out after doing routine maintenance and tightening the suddenly very loose air intake mechanism together it's back happy and as long as that is the case, the idiot light should go off once we reset it-could finally tell that we had a vacuum leak but couldn't tell where it was coming from, and the spark plugs had never been replaced.

It's running like a top now, in every way. We're stuck with it now.

That when you do regular maintenance and tighten things down right that it "just works"! It's supposed to break, but if you do the common sense items, it's like it's able to do anything! It's a superhero disguised as a truck! These are a few of my favorite things. See my other reviews for more.

Make the key fobs out of titanium so their key ring clips won't break. Make the AM/FM Cassette/CD Premium Stereo have a tape player that won't crap out just 4 months and 2 tapes after being refurbished professionally. And if we must press, over-solder the capacitors on the overhead display rather than requiring a third party to do Ford's work for them. Other than that, dump the EcoBoost crap and go back to these, because their problems are able to be worked around. You can't say that for the newer models.

Latest update after the first "problem" cropped up

2003 Ford F-150 4dr SuperCab XLT 4WD Styleside SB (4.6L 8cyl 5M)

I love this truck still, despite the fact that the check engine light came on after an oil change. The reason why it came on is because the people at the oil change place were a tiny bit too rough with our air filter, and so as a result it wasn't sealing tightly. Efforts to fix it only made it worse until we returned it to the way it should have been and lo and behold, the check engine light has been off for over double the amount of driving cycles needed to reset the system and if it was still an issue have the check engine light return. Based on how easy it was once we did it right, I can't even complain about it having an issue.

Even when the check engine light comes on, it's not apt like an EcoBoost replacement to sit there and throw up a code that means major engine work is needed unless major engine work is actually needed. And when it is, it's easy to diagnose. That feature is so critical I bought it Ford Motorcraft Platinum spark plugs because it made my job of getting it running so much easier. There's nothing I dislike, because it's issues are plain and simple when they do occur, and the truck is awesome when they're not occurring.

Make Ford re-run their 2003 vintage Ford truck commercials and scrap this EcoBoost junk they're putting in the new models. This F-150 is easy to diagnose compared to our 1994 Ranger or a new 2011 or later EcoBoost model once the engine has been stressed at all. If use on the new models is abuse, I'd rather buy the old models-oh wait, I already did. So I guess you just have to scrap the EcoBoost junk and go back to proven engine designs, even if they're less fuel efficient.

Great trucks
By nlambert182

2003 Ford F-150 4dr SuperCrew XLT Rwd Styleside SB (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

I dont know why I can't choose the 5.4L engine as an option but it's what mine came with.
I've owned a lot of these trucks and you just cannot break them.
I bought this one with 85k miles on it.
The only thing ever replaced were coil packs and an alternator.
Aside from that the truck runs flawlessly.
I would recommend these to anyone.

Reliability Power Comfort