Used 2002 Ford F-150 Consumer Reviews - 206 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Ford F-150

View reviews for a specific F-150 model:

Waste of Money
By zapttu2014

2002 Ford F-150 2dr Regular Cab XL 2WD Styleside SB (4.2L 6cyl 5M)

Bought when I turned 16 in 2008 with 67,000 miles on it, 3 years later have 122,000 with all scheduled maintenance. Front suspension is nearly gone, replaced slave cylinder at 71K, shorted plug wires on valve covers at 73K, replaced rear bumper mounts at 75K, cracked the lower manifold at 94K, 95K lost the throwout bearing, 104K had ECU problems, syncros in the tranny are going...poor engineering. Truck does not have any power for passing and barely gets 15 mpg on the highway. Engine is low on torque and unreliable. Don't think I'll ever buy another Ford after this one. Only used to get to and from high school and college and work.

None

Buy a 3/4 ton GM or Dodge diesel if your running nothing but highway, the truck will pay for it's self in fuel savings after 50K miles due to the 20-28 mpg mileage the vehicles get. My only suggested improvement is to bring the pre-97 models back out.

Love my Fords
By Tim

2002 Ford F-150 4dr SuperCab XLT 2WD Styleside SB (4.2L 6cyl 5M)

I love this truck. Bought it used and it is my daily driver. Have done a couple of power upgrades along with routine maintenance and it is very fast. When loaded down or pulling it drives like a dream. Very comfortable and reliable. Only problem I have had with this truck is the sliding rear window latch broke. This truck reminds me of why I drive nothing but fords, Toyota who.

I love this truck can't really pick a favorite feature.Power,comfort,reliability and it's a darn good looking body

sliding rear window latch is the only thing I can suggest after 5 years with this truck.

8 years of ownership
By gbl

2002 Ford F-150 4dr SuperCrew Lariat 2WD Styleside SB (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

Bought it for about $30k. I've had it for 8 years and 205,000+ miles. Pulled horse trailers up to 7000#. Probably have put over 60k miles towing loads. Have had both the transmission (probably didn't need to do it) and rear end rebuilt. Replaced about 6 of the coil packs. Replaced the leather on the front seats. Replaced the front rotors 3 times. On the 4th set of tires. Total repair costs about $5k. Overall I've been very satisfied. Burns about 1.5 quarts of oil every 3000 miles. Never has left me high and dry except when a battery went dead. It's been a great truck for what I've asked of it.

Ride and interior.

Coil packs go out to often. Mileage at 14 mph could be better. Maintenance manual should require changing the rear differential fluid on occasion. Passenger window rattles...can't get anyone to fix it.

simply great
By gregg45365

2002 Ford F-150 2dr Regular Cab XL 2WD Styleside SB (4.2L 6cyl 5M)

We bought our truck new in april 2002,currently has 139,000 miles and still is running with the same clutch,and only recently changed the front brakes.Also had to change the drivers side tierod.Themost we have spent in fixing our truck is the clutch slave cylinder inside the bell housing.We've kept up on the oil changes every 3,000 miles,and tune- ups.This truck handles great,still looks good,and we'll never part with it.

All the room inside the truck behind the seats and in the storage box.

It sucked having to pay so much to repair the clutch slave cylinder because it is located in the bell housing.

Best I've owned
By Jobe

2002 Ford F-150 4dr SuperCab XLT 2WD Styleside SB (4.2L 6cyl 5M)

This is by far the best vehicle I have ever owned. Very few minor defects are far outweighed by the overall integrity of the truck. I do not like rattles and squeaks and this truck has not one, inside or outside. The overall finish of the interior is excellent well designed, simple, stylish, and to the point.

Overall integrity, sufficient power for a recreational puller.

coolant temperature sensor, a 2 dollar part went out causing a "check engine light" 900 dollars after the intake manifold is removed to replace it it's fixed. Coil packs are prone to leaking water in causing misfires. You can remove and clean them though.