Used 2001 Ford F-150 Consumer Reviews - 173 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Ford F-150

View reviews for a specific F-150 model:

Good basic truck
By jrm

2001 Ford F-150 2dr Regular Cab XL 2WD Styleside SB (4.2L 6cyl 5M)

120k miles, only minor problems. Have replaced the clutch and a set of tires (original brake pads still going strong!). Mazda 5-speed is not a smooth shifter but has been a solid gearbox. V6 is noisy and doesn't have a lot of power but seems to be a solid little engine, no issues with it at all in 7 years/120k miles. Did have a lean condition due to upper intake gaskets, but that was easily fixed in an afternoon with $60 of parts.

Brakes, gas mileage (16-17 city, 18-19 highway); may sound like crappy mileage but that is real life mileage (with 3.55 gears even) and is damn good for a full size. Interior is excellent - yep it's hard plastic but it all fits right and dosen't squeak and it's tough.

Crappy plastic clutch hydraulics - release point always changes and had the slave spring a leak which left me on the side of the road. Ride can be harsh when unloaded but nothing compared to my LS1 Camaro. Rides like a Cadillac with a full load.

Not bad if you like rust.
By sebhmb

2001 Ford F-150 4dr SuperCrew Lariat 4WD Styleside SB (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

We bought this truck new because we had a family and needed to haul horses too. It performed great! Never any problems but at about 5 years old we noticed the doors were rusting. Since we'd purchased a lifetime rust protection warranty and had it inspected yearly we returned to the dealership who said they had no responsibility and should go to the company who made the rust inhibitor, although we purchased it through Ford. Nope, nobody claimed responsibility. At our car show we spoke with Ford reps and that got some action but they all claimed that after 5 years, they had no responsibility...although the truck only had 45,000 miles and was kept inside - always!

Loved it! Fun to drive, no mechanical problems, hot to look at! Great truck.

Building a door that is not "designed" to trap water in the bottom of the door panel that will cause rusting from the inside out! Even Ford claimed that it was a flaw and needed improvement.

Good, dependable light truck
By HerbInMN

2001 Ford F-150 4dr SuperCab Lariat 4WD Styleside SB (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

Our F-150 has been a very good pickup and has been very reliable. It has only required one non-wear item repair and that was a burnt out spark plug coil. Otherwise it has been bulletproof. It has a 3.55 rear differential so it gets OK mileage (14/16). The 5.4 engine and drive train is very strong and it can pull much more than one would one expect. Snowmobiles, 20 ft boat, 38 ft rv trailer, bobcat on a flatbed, no problem. Just add electronic break controls, turn off the overdrive, and you're good to go. Its a great trip mobile too, but the gas bill gets a little high on long trips.

5.4 engine is sweet. 4X4 system goes through a lot. 6 disc CD changer keeps the kids happy. Good heater and A/C. Comfy seats. Keypad entry. Adjustable foot pedals.

A little better mpg would be nice. Maybe sit a little lower.

Big Positive Surprises for Me
By MustangGT

2001 Ford F-150 2dr Regular Cab XLT 2WD Styleside SB (4.2L 6cyl 5M)

XLT short box. It just keeps on running. Now past 120,000 miles and I started with 12,000 so I got my money's worth. One set of tires, another coming up soon, 3 batteries, one super set of brakes, better check on them again too. But that's it, in 108,000 miles except for the 30 oil changes. 17 mpg with the a/c running. 19 mpg driving real nice without the a/c. Great truck that just keeps surprising me overall with reliability. Had one ton in the bed once, the nose was up, but I made it the 12 miles needed. If there is a bad point, I don't like it in the rain. It's a squirrel. As long as its dry, this truck has surpassed my expectations.

XLT Sport package in red of course; this truck just looks good and I still get compliments.

Nothing major that is for sure.

Good old truck
By ray

2001 Ford F-150 4dr SuperCab XLT 2WD Styleside SB (4.2L 6cyl 5M)

This is the 2nd F150 I have owned. This truck has been very good to me. The only problem was the recall on the crusie control. The truck has pulled my fifth wheel ever since I bought it. It pulls it very good. The last truck I had a 96 f150 was also very good to me. I also pulled with that one from day one. No prblems after 145,000 miles when I traded for this one. This truck is a lot better than my 2000 Chevy S10 I have. Piace of junk that one. I would tell anyone to buy a new F150 if they got a chance.

Power, fit and finish, the whole truck

Gas mileage