Used 2001 Ford F-150 Consumer Reviews - 173 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Ford F-150

View reviews for a specific F-150 model:

99 F150 4x4 Lariat
By meyeste

2001 Ford F-150 4dr SuperCab Lariat 4WD Flareside SB (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

I bought my '99 F150 5.4l used with 48k. I have had it in the shop 2x - bad coil and a bad idler sensor. It now has 130 k miles and I am still pleased. What I like most is that it is comfortable to drive, and drives well. I also like the drive mode selector on the dash, it goes from 4x2 to 4x4 immediately; it's saved me in mid-fish tail a couple of times. Also whether 4x4 low or 4x4 high, when engaged in the front axle is locked in; both wheels are turning all the time, I've seen enough to know GM uses an open front axle by default in 4x4 high; good for driving on wet roads, bad for poor traction situations. I'll get another one when this one needs replacing.

Driving dynamics, 4x4 characteristics, build quality, drive train reliability.

All I could ask for is better mpg's, and it appears the new Ford's deliver on that.

Good Truck, but could be better
By doggybag

2001 Ford F-150 4dr SuperCab Lariat 2WD Styleside LB (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

I have owned this vehicle since new in 2001 and, while I love my truck and only have about 85K, there are a few things that have gone wrong with it that, in my opinion, should not have. I do not use this vehicle commercially, have always well maintained it and condider myself to "baby" it.
I have gone through two transmissions, two exhaust manifolds (both sides), a fuel pump, a coilover, and a recall for rusty gas tank straps. I find the undercarriage to have more rust that my two older Toyotas and the hinge on the tail gate has failed. When there is just a little frost on the truck, the power windows fail to operate and get stuck in the closed position. Long wheelbase equals a smooth ride

Eight foot bed make it easy to fit just about anything you want to haul. Cabin and seating are comfortable, except for the half a bench seat in the rear. After nearly eleven years, paint finish is still bright and shiny.

Could use better rust proofing, if not done so already and better gas mileage.

Built Ford tough!
By Brandon

2001 Ford F-150 4dr SuperCab Lariat 4WD Styleside SB (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

I recently bought this FORD F150 with 224,000 miles on it. The engine, transmission, interior, and exterior are all original. No problems with engine or transmission at all. I am amazed that after now 226,000 miles, she's still running strong. The inside is well laid out. Love my captain chairs, sunroof, leather seats, and the view from up in there. I currently have a 3 inch lift on it and I have literally gotten a compliment from EVERYONE I have shown it to. That's not an overstatement. This truck is darn good looking. The paint has a few scratches and is gone in a couple places. The drive train and everything else is working solid. They aren't kidding when they say Ford TOUGH!

4x4-Wheel Drive, Body style and stance, leather seats, sunroof.

5.4L engine leaves just a little to be desired. The bed of the truck is slightly curved so putting plywood in can sometimes be a challenge. Headlights are not very powerful, I often skid across the pavement when turning across lanes. I don't feel as though it's very stable in the back end.

Great Truck
By RKMason

2001 Ford F-150 4dr SuperCrew Lariat 2WD Styleside SB (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

Bought the truck used 1.5 years old w/22k mi. Now at 83k mi. Got 4WD for use launching and retrieving a boat, but found I rarely need to engage 4WD. With the 5.4 L V8 the truck is a great tow vehicle for a 4500 lb boat & trailer. We use the CrewCab as our primary vehicle carrying more than 2 people. The Lariat model interior makes travel very comfortable. Reliability has been good; IAC valve began to stick last winter and I have paint peeling off of some of the plastic dashboard panels. Gas mileage could be better but overall it's been a great vehicle for us.

Towing capability. Lariat CrewCab interior.

Gas mileage. Interior plastic painting. AC seems marginal in summertime Texas.

My Tonka Truck
By bgardn3

2001 Ford F-150 2dr Regular Cab XL 4WD Flareside SB (4.2L 6cyl 5M)

I love this truck. Ordered it new with everything I wanted. After 10 years I still get compliments when I gas up or park somewhere. Only repair was an intake manifold gasket twice. Should have been once but the dealer did not replace the bolts at the time and since then it is a recommended part of this repair. I did do the brakes once but this is required on all vehicles. I will keep it for a good long time. It is fun to drive in snow as it sits so high. Wife complains "it's hard to get up into" and that adds to the appeal. They are really bullet proof.

The flare side. Don't see many around anymore. It's a nice looking truck.

None