Used 1999 Ford F-150 Extended Cab Consumer Reviews - 77 Car Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific F-150 model:

Lots of known Defects - Both Coils & Plugs
By GreenShoes

1999 Ford F-150 Extended Cab Work 4dr Extended Cab SB

It is a nice riding pickup with good ergonomics. HOWEVER, there are major known problems with this pickup and the 5.4L Triton engines that Ford refuses to correct without the customer paying for it. First, the ignition coils are VERY prone to fail. I have replaced 4 of them in the last 6 months - 2 being the same coil. There is also a problem with the spark plugs blowing out of the aluminum cylinder head on the passenger side. Again, Ford will not cover this under ANY warranty program and it is a WELL ESTABLISHED DEFECT. Lastly, since the 4 Wheel Drive disengagement spring is very weak,it will likely not shift out of 4 Wheel Hi Range unless you stop the vehicle and back up.

If it worked, the 4 wheel shift on the fly.

A) Ford should be honest and display integrity when dealing with well established design defects of their own making. B) Replacing reliable and economical items like a standard coil & plug set up, just to generate extra repair revenue is not the way to keep customers.

"Best in class"
By John Pikolcz

1999 Ford F-150 Extended Cab XLT 4dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

I wish the mpg was higher. I experience a low of 9, and a high of 14 mpg on the road. I often tow a boat trailer, and the truck pulls great. I love the interior room, which nothing on the road can compare to it. After 6 years and 60,000 miles of tough use, I replaced an ignition coil 3 times, 1 fuel pump, and had one brake job. As for everything else, it looks, runs, and rides like brand new. Except for the coil problem (?), and my wish for higher gas mileage, I can't complain. My friends also drive (other brands of) 4x4 pick-ups, and they say their mileage is worse than mine. I have a heavy truck, that was rear-ended hard while I was stopped. I had no damage. I love my F150 4x4!

Roominess, towing capacity, performance, and smooth ride.

Better gas mileage for this 5.4 liter engine.

Bad Gaskets!
By Robert

1999 Ford F-150 Extended Cab XL 4dr Extended Cab LB

The truck has been fine and I've babied it for six years. In the past three years, it's been a third vehicle, so hasn't gotten much use. Now I discovered it needs a head gasket replaced! This is a $2,000 job and I find this unacceptable for a babied, 75,000-mile vehicle. Last Ford I will ever own.

Reliability, fuel economy, comfort.

Love my Ford Truck
By Great Truck

1999 Ford F-150 Extended Cab Lariat 4dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

Bought my truck from my father in law. His loss. It is a fantastic truck. No major problems. It is a four wheeling beast in the sand dunes. Never was a Ford fan before but my next truck will probably be a Ford again after my time spent with this one.

Step side body style and 4x4 height make for an impressive exterior. Leather interior is comfortable even in the Texas sun. Smooth ride. Climbs sand dunes without any problems. I haven't customized my truck for 4x4ing; it was all done with stock. Big 5.4 V8 has plenty of power.

An excellent pick up truck
By Robert

1999 Ford F-150 Extended Cab XLT 4dr Extended Cab SB

I have had NO problems with this vehicle. I moved from LA to then moved back to AL and coming back I towed another vehicle behind me. As you can imagine going through the Rocky Mountains towing a car behind me might seem difficult. But not this truck. It held its own and then some with the flow of traffic. No problems going UP mountains. A/C,P/W,P/L all still work fine. Killer Stereo. As you can tell I crazy in love with my F150 XLT Triton V8 truck!

The COMFORT, AC, POWER ... I guess you could say the whole package!

I can't think of anything that would improve on what is already offered.