Used 1999 Ford F-150 Consumer Reviews - 92 Car Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific F-150 model:

Great Truck!
By smith

1999 Ford F-150 XLT 4dr Extended Cab SB

We sold our 2004 Explorer last summer to buy our 1999 Ford F150. We love it - actually more than our Explorer. We bought it so we could pull a camper cross-country when we were moving. My family has always loved Fords but my husband was a Chevy man until this purchase. We pulled a 26' camper loaded with belongings through several mountain chains - when we started through the first set of mountains, my husband said if we make it all the way there with no problems, I'll be a Ford man. Not one problem! In fact, that was last July and we still have had no problems. We put new tires on it when we bought it and have had the tires rotated and oil changed - THAT'S IT! Highly recommend this model.

It is such a comfortable ride - a tough, well built truck. I guess the reliability would be our favorite feature.

NONE!

I would buy again
By John

1999 Ford F-150 XLT 4dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

I have replaced 3 ignition coils, all on the number 1 cylinder. I don't know why, but 3 on the same one seems kind of weird. I also had a fuel pump replaced last year. Other than that, it's been very reliable, and it's used in rough service. I have many short trips to and from work, and I often tow my boats with it. It has plenty of power, and it looks, rides, and runs like new.

The interior room is amazing! Nothing comes close to it. I love the ride of this truck, and it's smooth, and fun to drive.

Fuel mileage should be a bit better. At the worst I get 9mpg, and the best is 14+. Placement of the electronic 4x4 shift knob can be confused with the heater fan knob if you are not familiar with their locations. I would have preferred that the 4x4 shift knob be placed elsewhere.

1999 4WD 5.4 liter standard cab SB
By David Hine

1999 Ford F-150 XLT 2dr Regular Cab 4WD SB

This has been a great truck. The only problem I have had is burnt out coils on the plugs. I have replaced three in four years which I guess isn't too bad.The 5.4 liter engine has great torque and has easily out run many Chevrolets with 5.7 liter engines. The ride quality is good but gas mileage really blows, I do good to get 14 miles per gallon in mixed driving. But the truck is still tight with no rattles at 71000 miles. I would recommend it to anyone looking for a powerful, reliable truck.

Powerful engine, love the body style, good factory stereo.

Better mileage, better made coils.

Lots of known Defects - Both Coils & Plugs
By GreenShoes

1999 Ford F-150 Work 4dr Extended Cab SB

It is a nice riding pickup with good ergonomics. HOWEVER, there are major known problems with this pickup and the 5.4L Triton engines that Ford refuses to correct without the customer paying for it. First, the ignition coils are VERY prone to fail. I have replaced 4 of them in the last 6 months - 2 being the same coil. There is also a problem with the spark plugs blowing out of the aluminum cylinder head on the passenger side. Again, Ford will not cover this under ANY warranty program and it is a WELL ESTABLISHED DEFECT. Lastly, since the 4 Wheel Drive disengagement spring is very weak,it will likely not shift out of 4 Wheel Hi Range unless you stop the vehicle and back up.

If it worked, the 4 wheel shift on the fly.

A) Ford should be honest and display integrity when dealing with well established design defects of their own making. B) Replacing reliable and economical items like a standard coil & plug set up, just to generate extra repair revenue is not the way to keep customers.

"Best in class"
By John Pikolcz

1999 Ford F-150 XLT 4dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

I wish the mpg was higher. I experience a low of 9, and a high of 14 mpg on the road. I often tow a boat trailer, and the truck pulls great. I love the interior room, which nothing on the road can compare to it. After 6 years and 60,000 miles of tough use, I replaced an ignition coil 3 times, 1 fuel pump, and had one brake job. As for everything else, it looks, runs, and rides like brand new. Except for the coil problem (?), and my wish for higher gas mileage, I can't complain. My friends also drive (other brands of) 4x4 pick-ups, and they say their mileage is worse than mine. I have a heavy truck, that was rear-ended hard while I was stopped. I had no damage. I love my F150 4x4!

Roominess, towing capacity, performance, and smooth ride.

Better gas mileage for this 5.4 liter engine.