Used 1999 Ford F-150 Consumer Reviews - 92 Car Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific F-150 model:

Best truck on the road
By J.D. Tatum

1999 Ford F-150 Lariat 4dr Extended Cab Stepside SB

This truck is more than I actually believed it would be. 5.4L v-8 is strong. Great styling,great ride and for a 2WD will pull much better than I thought it would. I pull a 30',6000lb. travel trailer, 5-6 times per year and it pulls it like a much beefier truck. Fuel mileage is still in the 16 MPG range at 114,000 miles and I have not had replace anything other than normal wear and tear components. I have drive train serviced at end of each summer,trans. fluid looks as good as when it went in. oil changes reveal no surprises and the rear end fluid never needs it when I change it. even with the heavy-hauling the fuel mileage is decent. 8 year old truck and still gets the looks.

Great exterior styling, very good int. design, and the leather has held up well. Best riding truck I've ever owned.

LED odometer looks nice but is faulty and is pricey because it requires a full instrumentation R&R.

Everything but the plugs
By jasnjan

1999 Ford F-150 XLT 4dr Extended Cab SB

Our F150 is 2WD and has the 4.6 Triton. I have been overall pleased with this motor. It has enough pep to haul me, my pianos, and my piano trailer once or twice a week. When it pulls a trailer I can count on about 14 mpg. Not loaded about 18 and up to 21 even. I pulled a car trailer and an old car home from Montana and it did great! My only gripe is the plugs. I didn't have one blow but had symptoms and took it in and had plugs, wires, the whole shoot and match for about $900. I didn't want to take the chance of blowing a head. If you don't catch that stuff, it sounds like real trouble.

Pep, sometimes it almost feels like a heavier Mustang. Comfortable interior, 4 dr cab is a huge improvement over my older 2 door cabs.

Fix those darn plug problems! When closing the main door onto the extended cab door, it feels a bit flimsy.

By northmi

1999 Ford F-150 XLT 4dr Extended Cab LB

I've enjoyed my truck completely. It's done everything I've asked of it with comfort, convenience, and style.

I love that to date, this body style F150 is the most customizable truck, period. I enjoy the aerodynamic styling.

Change to a 5 or 6 speed automatic. Make a 5.4 with a manual tranny. Make a lightning extra cab.

This Truck is a Hazard to life and limb
By Thingriz

1999 Ford F-150 XLT 4dr Extended Cab SB

The front left tire has fallen off three times due to ungreasable pressed in steering components. All Ford replacement parts and all of poor quality. One control arm didn't last a year. That was the time I had just finished driving to work at 65MPH and as I pulled in the hospital parking lot the wheel fell off, blocking the entrance. Real nice. Yesterday the brakes went out...period. The thing goes through coils at the rate of one or more a year. The hood latch broke. I had to take the spare tire out to replace the shocks - that stupid system was broke right from the factory. The 4wheel drive is broke, I don't know why yet. I suspect an engage motor. I could go on but no more letters to use!

The stereo, but that cost me $7,000 USD and doesn't have the Ford logo anywhere on it.

Go back to greaseable parts that last. Spend a few extra bucks on some stainless steel lines. Fire anybody who worked on this truck from research to assembly.

Been an awesome truck for me!
By Ron

1999 Ford F-150 XL 4dr Extended Cab 4WD LB

I bought this truck after it had over 100,000 highway miles on it. I have put about 25,000 more miles on it with a 'mix' of town and highway miles. This has been an awesome truck for me! No repairs, no bad points. A small V8, super cab, 4 wheel drive, and on the road it gets about 20 mpg. Great truck! Drives well, all options work, good cruise, comfortable, dependable, etc. I will keep using F150s, and this has really been a NICE truck for me. It could be the way it has been driven- with mostly highway miles, but really nice. Still uses NO oil, and drives like a dream. Hope I find another one like it when I finally wear this one out.

Comfortable, dependable, well put together, good gas mileage.

Find me another one just like it in about 5 years, and I will be even happier.