Used 1999 Ford F-150 Consumer Reviews - 92 Car Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific F-150 model:

Bad Tranny
By chuck

1999 Ford F-150 XLT 4dr Extended Cab SB

This is a well designed and solid built truck. Every thing is tight and working well after ten years. The only problem and it is a big problem is the transmission had the famous Ford shudder when trying to lock up. I have bought two new Ford SUVs but after this I will not buy another Ford after such a fatal flaw. If you have not had the shudder yet, it is coming.

Interior quality, paint, AC.

Ford knew this trans design was flawed back in the early 90s but continued to use it through 2003.

242,000 miles and still going strong
By Bennett

1999 Ford F-150 Lariat 4dr Extended Cab SB

Bought this truck with over 110,000 miles on the 5.4 Liter engine for $6,000 5 years ago. The guy that owned it before me towed flat bed trailers loaded with steel across country for a living. I was scared as heck to buy it, but I've always been a Ford man so went by faith. Well I've got 242,000 miles on the engine and all is great. Not near as snappy off the block or as tight, but I can still press the gas in congested driving situations and blow the doors off anyone. I love this truck so much. I'm about to buy my next used Ford F150 Lariat with a 100,000 miles on it. Embarrassed to say, but I've let the engine run out of oil at least 3 times (dry as a bone). Oe tough engine!

I love this truck
By joe

1999 Ford F-150 XLT 4dr Extended Cab LB

I bought this truck from my father 3 years ago. I love it. Besides normal maintanance the only thing that has gone wrong with it is the alternator died in it at about 150,000 miles. It now has 185 and I still get 18-20 mpg from my 4.2 v6. My father has an 07 Ram with the 4.7 v8 and my truck can tow the same things and haul what it does all with 2 less cylinders and I pay almost 15 bucks less a week for gas and I got a bigger gas tank. I can go close to 600 miles on a tank

I think that this truck is very easy to work on

None at this time

Quarter of a million miles still OK
By karaokeman

1999 Ford F-150 Lariat 4dr Extended Cab SB

Bought it new, dealer installed lowering, 2" front, 3" rear, rides great, very fast, comfortable, easy access. Tricked out with $6,000 extras, snug top tonneau cover, air lifts, running boards, pin striping, etc., still get compliments on quality & looks. Never used 100,000 extended warrenty, however R & R differential at 158,000, and R & R radiator at 190,000. Otherwise just routine maintnance. Only disappointment is brakes, low pedal, too much effort, warp at drop of the hat, & early wearout until changed to drilled rotors & ceramic pads at 120,000...should have done this when new. With front end lowered, went through factory & top-of-the-line Big O with 28,000 to 33,000.

Leather/power interior very luxurious for a truck. Interior still tight, have to open window to slam door. After racing rotors & pads, brakes adequate. After up-grading to (one size over) Michelin "All Terrain" SUV tire, now get 55,000 to 65,000 miles.

Brakes not up to par, R & R fronts at 35,000, 70,000, 105,000, 160,000, 210,000, & ? 270,000...rears at 100,000 & 200,000... Trans filled new with Mobil One synthetic, after 250,000 still OK. Serviced engine every 5000 miles, started burning 1 qt,/1000 oil at 230,000, not bad...11 MPG overall.

Transmmission Issues
By unikeimage

1999 Ford F-150 Lariat 4dr Extended Cab SB

I've had the truck for about 4 years. I bought the truck from my dad he bought it brand new in 99 and has always kept up with the maintenence. The truck never felt like it was shifting right. The first trans. went out at about 77k miles it has 177k know and the second trans. has gone out it was also a ford trans. installed @ a ford dealer. The truck was mainly driven by my wife and she has a light foot and is very easy on cars. The engine sounds great and other than minor things such as sensors and plugs its done a great job staying together. This will be the third transmission on this truck but now I went with a transmission expert hopefully this is the last transmission for this truck.

It looks great, also it has the captain seats in the front and they are comfortable on long rides and it can tow a lot of stuff.

Better transmissions please!The steering feels loose and it oversteers