Used 1999 Ford F-150 Consumer Reviews - 92 Car Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific F-150 model:

What the Heck?
By Ricky

1999 Ford F-150 XLT 4dr Extended Cab SB

Took a chance and bought this F150 xlt w/ a 4.2 v6 engine w/ 77500 miles on it. Being a Ford truck, I expected at least 200,000 miles out of it. Only got 115,000 before the engine threw a rod. I babied the truck above and beyond what it was called for. During my three years of ownership, replaced 4 tires, o2 sensor, alternator ($600),belts, 2 sets of sparksplugs. And the worst of all, $2900 for a whole new front suspension. Plus alot of little things that adds up to alot of money. I know when you by a used car or truck, you are going to spend a little money to bring it up to standard. But, come on that much on a Ford truck. I'm very disappoint and looking for a different truck.

Nice styling, handle real nice on the highway

Improve the quality of the engines

BEST TRUCK EVER!
By Chris Bruce

1999 Ford F-150 XL 4dr Extended Cab LB

I loved my f150 xl 2wd. It's reliable as hell, the ride is as smooth as driving a big car, and it is all around awesome. The only thing I didn't like was gas mileage, I was getting about 13 mpg. I wish it had a little more power to it, but it still had enough torque to pull my friends 93 Dodge ram charger with no problem. I love this truck I had to get rid of it because I needed something with better gas mileage but it felt like my girl friend broke up with me when I did. This truck is awesome and I would recommend that everyone should get it if they could afford the v8.

Reliable, smooth ride, good build quality.

gas mileage, and could use a little more power.

awesome truck
By jb

1999 Ford F-150 Lariat 4dr Extended Cab SB

This truck now has 290,000 miles on it and I still drive it everyday. I put 285 bfg's on it and I still get about 13 mpg. I have replaced a few coils, but they are cheap and easy to do yourself. I kept thinking it would crap out, but it's still running strong. Ford finally did something right.

still looks good, glad you can fit 285's at stock height, just trim the plastic airdam.

Move the 4X4 knob..... it is way too close to the a/c controls.

Awesome Truck
By BIGDAVEW76

1999 Ford F-150 XLT 4dr Extended Cab LB

Bought this truck used in 2006 and it had 50k on it, has over 151k miles on it now and it still runs like it did when I bought it. I drive 65 miles round trip for work 5 days a week and it took it every day. Nothing week about this Ford Truck!!!

Driving, gas milage, lots of room, very easy to maintain.

Original Owner not sure if I should sell
By Rob

1999 Ford F-150 XLT 4dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

I have owned this for 10 years in the Colorado Rockies and have a few opinions. The engine of the truck has been very reliable, however the electrical system is horrible!. The brakes work well, but wear out yearly! It was a real slug on inclines until I installed a K&N intake system and exhaust system which changed the whole personalilty and handling of the vehicle. Never a single oil leak. Never stuck in snow, but weight in rear is highly suggested on icy roads. Never drive on slick roads with poor tread on rears with no weight. Currently have 175,000 miles, and expect to get another 100,000 miles unless I upgrade just for something new. Next truck will be a Honda Ridgeline!

Reliability of engine. Transmission has been sweet too, but have not towed anything and I changed transmission fluid every 30-35k.

The electical sysem is possessed and the brak pads and rotors must be bigger!! How about some squeekers on the thr rotors! First set of brakes wore out at 7000 miles! replaced ten, yes 10, sets of front brake pads, but not s single set of rear brake brakes!!!!