Used 1998 Ford F-150 Extended Cab Consumer Reviews - 62 Car Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific F-150 model:

Runs like the Energizer Bunny
By kwhite917

1998 Ford F-150 Extended Cab XLT 3dr Extended Cab SB

My 1998 F-150 4.6 XLT 3-door shortbed keeps going and going and going. I have over 200K miles on it and I'm sure it will keep going another 100K miles before I may need to have something done. My 17 year old daughter is driving it to and from school and she loves "her" truck. She said all the boys are jealous of her because they think "her" truck is so good looking. I was run off the road in Houston in 2005 and hit a barrier on the left front fender. When the insurance appraiser was writing up the repair order he listed it as 2003 model. When I corrected him he was dumbfounded. He said he had never seen a vehicle of that age and mileage that was so pristine. It gave me warm fuzzies inside.

I can't say enough about the reliability, the "coolness" factor of a truck and the utility it provides. The day I gave my daughter "her" truck to drive was the day I needed it to haul some stuff to the dump. I really miss it and I'm looking at buying another pre-2004 F-150 just to have around.

I know everyone one else said the gas mileage could be improved, but hey its a truck! The only thing that really needed to be improved was the size of the front rotors. The were off a Taurus sedan and the bulk of the braking was on the front pads. Bigger disks with EBT would have beeen great.

never let's me down
By Eric

1998 Ford F-150 Extended Cab XLT 3dr Extended Cab LB

I have used my truck for daily drive of 50+ miles for 5 years, plus hauling mulch, wood, moving- whatever I need it makes it happen. I have 2wd and living in VA I have never even needed 4wd in the snow. I am not good to vehicles and have only had to replace normal wear and tear. Some of the bottom of the doors has been starting to rust, but I just put on more rustoleum and keep going. About 2 years in I added a KN cold air intake and a flowmaster duel exhaust and this gives me about 3/4 extra MPG and sounds AWESOME! Overall it is one of those vehicles that you never have a doubt if she will start up- I would never part with my truck until she decides to go.

Interior and Exterior styling holds up. Love the power of the 5.4l. So much room in the back seat also.

The tires and brakes seem to wear a little early, but that may be the driver.

Reliability 100%
By Zowy

1998 Ford F-150 Extended Cab Lariat 3dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

It's all about reliability. Powerful at low speed. So much torque. Awesome 4x4. Large cargo area. Not so much repair cost. Very easy to find out used parts. VERY Reliable. This is my second F150. For sure will have it for many years.

4x4 capability (a lot of fun!) Very good engine sound (with the help of a Super Turbo Dynomax muffler)

MORE POWER please!

1998 Best by Far for Ford
By Ford Man

1998 Ford F-150 Extended Cab XLT 3dr Extended Cab SB

I have a 1998 Ford F-150 4.6L 2wd. This truck has been through thick and thin as a farm truck. I have pulled my round bailer with ease. I still have the truck and plan on giving it to my son soon. This truck still has some get up and go and can still jump when you press the pedal to the floor. I think I forgot to mention that it has 375,419 miles on it. I haven't had to swap or do anything at all to the engine or the transmission, and it doesn't look like I will have to anytime soon either. I have had Chevy's but they do not have near as much as my Ford right now. I will tell you right now that 1998 must have been a good year for Ford. The only thing I have had to change is the oil, & tires.

The style, performance, and never leaves you stranded

Gas economy (Just like any other V8 truck), and the door seals

280k miles!
By llamar

1998 Ford F-150 Extended Cab Lariat 3dr Extended Cab SB

I bought this truck from the orginal owner about 6 months ago. I wasn't so sure because of the miles but has no problems. I have put around 10k miles and no problems! Original owner says has never even had the alternator replaced! Has had new ball joints but only because of the miles. It now has 280k+ Great mpg for truck at 20mpg and still driving. I trust it to go anywhere! I used to be die hard Chevy. Now I am looking to buy a Ford Expedition, maybe it will be as trustworthy

3rd door

Putting the rear door on the driver side