Used 1997 Ford F-150 Consumer Reviews - 124 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

1997 Ford F-150

View reviews for a specific F-150 model:

I do not trust this vehicle
By ice cream man

1997 Ford F-150 XLT 2dr Regular Cab Stepside SB

I like the drive but I cannot keep it on the road because I've had numerous problems. I have replaced the engine twice in less than a year and the transmision during this time and now I am experiencing a vacuum leak. I will never invest in anything that has the name Ford on it, even if it is a toy.

Exterior look

Gas mileage, problematic transmission & engine

Super truck
By JRaney

1997 Ford F-150 XLT 3dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

I purchased my truck used in 01 and have owned it for 6 years and all I have done is maintenance and changed the tranny fluid 2x. My truck always starts and runs great. My father in law has an 05 Silverado with a 5.3L and we always use my truck for heavy loads because they crush his suspension and all I have is the 4.6L. All I wish was better fuel mileage but the truck is almost bulletproof and the 4x4 system is great. All it needs is a locking rear differential.

Great 4x4. strong motor that won't stop, great ride.

Gas mileage, factory speakers

Love my F-150
By bassmax

1997 Ford F-150 XLT 3dr Extended Cab SB

Bought my truck with 8,000 since it was in a trade in on a new one at the end of 97. I have 135,000 on it and the only problem was a leak in the rear window which I fixed with silicon. Front end parts sqweek when turning and other than normal wear and tear, that is it. Always change oil at 3-4,000 and filters. My biggest con is not having disc brakes in the rear (which they did in 98). I would buy another Ford pick up. I like Toyota Tundra's but for the extra money, I am not sure it is worth the difference. After 43 years of driving, this is my first Ford. They did good for me.

Comfort, still tight, reliability.

Speakers, low end power/torque

Built Ford tough!
By jim dence

1997 Ford F-150 XLT 3dr Extended Cab Stepside SB

I have owned 35 cars to date and my F- 150 is by far the best vehicle that I have owned. Turn the key and it starts every time . Best truck for overall reliability and comfort . I still get compliments on how great it looks for it's age .

The stepside has a very sporty and agressive look to it that draws attention wherever it goes.

With todays fuel prices it's quite costly to fill up, but worth the price in the long run for its safety and reliability.

Awesome Truck!
By Chauncey

1997 Ford F-150 XLT 3dr Extended Cab 4WD LB

Bought w/100k on it. Other than tires and oil no major repairs needed. 140k now and replaced front and rear brakes 1 time and replaced 02 sensor and 3 spark plugs and that is it. I use for landscaping so most miles I put on are hard work miles and it does great. Unbelievable traction, comfort. Out of 5 other trucks, this is the best truck I have ever owned and would buy again if I could find one like it.

Comfort, awesome 4x4,long bed, extended cab

Wish they were easier to find. Took a year before I found this one!