Used 1997 Ford F-150 Consumer Reviews - 124 Car Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific F-150 model:

Original Owner, Great Value Truck
By Bad da Bingg

1997 Ford F-150 XLT 3dr Extended Cab SB

I bought the 4.6 L V8 4x4 XLT when our kids were just small enough to fit easily in the extended cab. Now that they're grown and gone, the truck keeps on doing truck duty. Those are boat hauling, camping, motorcycle transport and skiing. This truck has needed brakes and shocks but nothing else beyond routine maintenance. I look at newer trucks and laugh at the pricing and fuel efficiency, my truck still compares nicely.

The truck was ahead of it's time in design and features but 4 wheel disc are not included.

Better brakes came in 1998-99?

Fix Or Repair Daily
By bigruss

1997 Ford F-150 XLT 3dr Extended Cab 4WD Stepside SB

I have a 1997 F-150 XLT 4x4 with approx 165000 mi, ran well when just bought but developed a heavy cylinder misfiring issue. This is common with many F-150s especially the 4.6L V-8. I had to take the truck into the shop 3 times to fix the issue and the cause still cannot be diagnosed today. It is still misfiring! I do know that I have to keep changing my spark plugs which are almost impossible to gain access to. The total cost of repairs on this issue is now near $500. Another issue with this F-150 is the 4 wheel drive system. It mal-engages and a I hear a big BOOM underneath the cab. I engage it normally by setting it in neutral and then switching it. Ford must improve their quality!

Sharp looking in and out. Powerful and OK fuel economy for a V-8 truck

Poorly built engine and very hard to work with. (Spark plugs hard to change) 4x4 needs to be constructed better

Slightly modded, but was fine before.
By Al Hoyt

1997 Ford F-150 XL 2dr Regular Cab Stepside SB

I own a 97 Ford F-150 XL Step-Side, 4.2L V6. Of course the V6 is lighter and quicker then the 4.6L I run all over 4.6's Tranny went out before I bought the truck, which suprised me, usually Ford trannys, especaily manuals are indestructible. Nothing at all has gone wrong with it other than that. I have 115,000 miles on it now. I installed a belltech 6" drop for better handling. Very tight turning radius. Very lightweight. And I get better mileage than my dad's 4.6L. Very well built truck. Fun to drive, starts effortlessly every morning. I never worry about anything.

Very tight turning radius. Awesome body lines, and design. Fun to drive. I can pull 20 mpg if not bucking heavy wind. Very easy to work on.

Heavier duty tranny.

Ford Tough
By Larry

1997 Ford F-150 Lariat 3dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

Bought this truck from original owner with 60k miles on it. It now has 215k and is like new! Other than ordinary maintenance, I put a new radiator in at 150k and an alternator at 195k. Heads have never been off. It just keeps running and everything works. Paint is unbelievable. People can't believe it's 10 yrs old. I fully expect to get at least 250k from this completely stock 5.4L beauty.

Lariat creature comforts. The 4WD sits you up high. Pulls anything like it's a mosquito.

Extended cab F-150s in '97 only had 3 doors. 4 would have been nice.

Overall very nice truck
By Earl

1997 Ford F-150 XLT 3dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

Very comfortable ride. Quiet engine. Mileage good for large truck. Has 100,000 miles on it. Looks and runs like new truck

CD player. Trailer hitch. Camper shell. Bed liner. Power steering, power brakes. Electric window and door locks. Extended cab. Running boards. Alarm system.

Extra fuel tank. Larger 3rd door on both sides