Used 1997 Ford F-150 Consumer Reviews - 125 Car Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific F-150 model:

F150 Work Horse
By Bolio

1997 Ford F-150 XLT 3dr Extended Cab 4WD LB

I have had my F150 since I spec'd it out. When I received it, the dealer said it was the 1st LB 4X4 super cab in AZ. The tires were too small, upgraded to 285x16 on stock wheels. Only problems in 8 yrs: R 4x4 actuator module, replaced cylinder #8, intake valve malfunction. Pulls 7000 lb trailer up mountains no problem. Pulls out stumps, 4X4 great, very comfortable. Gas mileage is medium (14-17). Repainted 2 years ago, but paint was OK before that (Bright Red). Had a dent in bed to be repaired. Headlights have faded over. Bedliner a good investment. Very reliable, very versatile, good looking truck. (Got compliments the first years I had it all the time).

Bed size, 3rd door, dual power taps, ground clearance.

Bigger front brakes, larger stock tires, better tie downs.

'97 F-150 Workhorse
By Paul

1997 Ford F-150 XLT 3dr Extended Cab LB

Best vehicle I've ever owned. 164,000 miles w/no major repairs needed.

Low maintenance. Reliable. Comfortable.

Better gas mileage.

Great Truck
By HCR

1997 Ford F-150 XL 3dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

I have had a squeaky control arm. The only problem is the replacement one does not have a grease point. Why pay $500.00 to fix a squeak for it to squeak again in 6 months?

It has great power and has never left me to walk!

Put lubrication places on the steering points.

4.2L Engine
By Scot

1997 Ford F-150 XL 3dr Extended Cab SB

I really like the truck, overall design outside, and interior room. I have had the truck since it was new, mine was equipped with the 4.2L engine. At 88,000 miles the transmission went, at 89,200 the engine went. I was very much disappointed with that. I had the transmission rebuilt and purchased a new engine from Ford, I think it runs better now than when I first purchased it (WAY MORE POWER)! I would buy the truck again but would stick with at V-8 engine. If you're buying used be careful about the early 4.2L; my understanding is it had a lot of problems, the newer ones are supposed to have all the problems fixed.

Lots of room and decent handling.

Get the bugs out of the 4.2L V-6.

My '97 Used P/U
By Jack Latty

1997 Ford F-150 2dr Regular Cab 4WD LB

Vehicle has been very good. It has done all I've asked of it, both in a "fun" situation and in a work situation. It handles well, however, fuel economy, particularly in light of extremely high fuel prices, could be better. It averages only about 14 MPG. I have a '01 Expedition, with a larger engine that gets much better mileage. (P/U has a 4.6 V8, Expedition has a 5.4 V8) I would not hesitate to recommend this year model to anyone looking for a good used P/U.

4WD as we work as hosts at an RV/ATV campground in the Oregon Dunes