Used 1991 Ford F-150 Regular Cab Consumer Reviews - 15 Car Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific F-150 model:

My 91 Ford
By POSEY

1991 Ford F-150 Regular Cab XLT Lariat 2dr Regular Cab LB

My 1991 Ford F-150 has the 4.9L straight 6. It was given to me from my uncle with 85,000 miles on it. It now has 187,000. I have not changed the oil since i got it and it still runs very strong. I'm not too big on the transmissions on the 91 Ford since my reverse went out.

The heater

Stronger transmissions

Heavy-Half
By the_suffering360

1991 Ford F-150 Regular Cab 2dr Regular Cab LB

I recieved it from my grandfather when he passed away. I love this truck. It currently has around 69300 actual miles. It is a great truck. It has the 4.9 with the HD tranny out of the 350 and the same HD rear axle out of a srw 350. It was ordered like that and is not aftermarked mods. This thing is a torque beast. I put 30 by 9 inch BFGoodwrench allterrains on it at stock ride and I can go farther than my friends Jeeps and 4X4s and its rwd! I frequently haul 2000lbs+ in the bed and a 6000lbs+ trailer and it will handel it at any speed and it has 0 lag even fully loaded. #5 cylinder is shot though but still drives OK.

Massive torque beast. Reasonable gas mileage for a truck. Durable as a block of solid steel. Goes anywhere. Comfortable as a new lazyboy.

Better brake design and maybe rear disks. Better factory fuel pumps and guages. Cheap fender material rusts so easily. Bad gas mileage because of bad cylinder. More power

Good all around truck
By stephen

1991 Ford F-150 Regular Cab 2dr Regular Cab SB

I have a 1991 F150 Custom std. cab 2WD 4.9L L6. I drove it to school and back 5 years ago the only problems I have had was the water pump, heater core and replacing tires (me being a 17 yr old boy). I would definitely buy another truck like this, but I would like the 5.0. I suggest this truck to anyone. I had 155,000 miles on it when I bought it and it has been a great truck.

Lots of torque, aux. gas tank. A/C

Brakes heat up too quickly

Ford has what is takes
By Jeremy Pearce

1991 Ford F-150 Regular Cab XL 2dr Regular Cab 4WD SB

I bought this 91 F-150 about a year and a half ago with 166,000 miles on it. I have been so happy with it ever since. I live in Alaska and I'm out in the Bush (Wasilla/Willow) and I have done my fair share of off-roading with this truck, and it still runs and runs. I have not been too good to my truck but it has been very good to me. I now have over 177,800 miles on its powerful 300 inline 6. I don't even have a V8 and I'm loving the power that I get from this thing. It doesn't have the most HP in the world (145hp) but its torque is nice for a six cylinder (265 ft-lbs). I have never had the engine of transmisson rebuilt, or had any major work done. The owner before me also said he never had work done.

The power is amazing and I love that I get better gas mileage than most trucks (because of my inline 6). I get about 18 miles to the gallon, when most of my buddies with their V8s get like 14. That is a big difference when gas is $2.80 a gallon.

The ride quality could use a little work but its an older truck. I have found that with all the older trucks I've driven in the past. In comparison I have found the F-150 to have a much better ride.

Fun truck but a lemon
By kyle

1991 Ford F-150 Regular Cab XLT Lariat 2dr Regular Cab 4WD SB

Great truck for hard road until about 40,000 miles; pin broke in engine and it had to be rebuilt. 60,000 miles, transmission had to be rebuilt; has a history of problems and after talking to many different owners, sellers, repair shops, the '91 F150 has a long history of major repairs. Transmission is too small for truck, which appears to be a history problem with Ford products. Universal joint had to be replaced at about 50,000, and so on. This truck was rarely used off road except to keep the 4x4 system lubed. Paint had heavy oxidation at about 20,000 miles; easily comes back with every buff or chemical oxidation removal.

Inside and outside looks. Road handling when new and after major overhaul. Large radiator.

Remove fuel pump from fuel tank. Larger transmission. Better paint. Better stereo equipment. More heavy duty parts. etc.