2017 Ford Explorer Consumer Reviews - 60 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2017 Ford Explorer Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Explorer model:

Still loving my Explorer after 2yrs
By greatwhiteowl

2017 Ford Explorer Sport 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl Turbo 6A)

It's my cross country car. Fuel economy was not a priority; I get low 20's mpg. I chose the Explorer because I wanted an AWD car with a big windshield high off the ground. Something with enough space to let me stretch out flat if I want to skip the motel that night. Something fun to drive. My other car is a Porsche and while I didn't expect this to be Porsche-like, I didn't want to drive a boring slug either. The Eco-boost V6 has amazing power with minimal turbo lag and will launch this puppy quite nicely, although if you floor it, you wanna be on top of the torque steer. Steering is unexpectedly quick for a big SUV, and the handling and brakes are surprisingly good. It's very comfortable! Extremely quiet; even the glass has its own sound insulation! It's a nice cockpit with nice materials. I have no issues with the Sync3 head unit, unlike the MyFordTouch offering that people hated in previous models. The sound system is amazing. What I don't like: sometimes Ford thinks it knows what you want better than you do. You can't escape the lights on entry/exit.. guess the designers never went car camping. Sometimes you get a double honk if you did something the sensors didn't expect. Sometimes the sensors do things you don't want, such as opening the rear hatch when you're trying to put on a car cover, or activating the panic button which is way too sensitive. So you're that jerk who is always flashing his lights or honking his horn for no reason. Overall, I love this car and am happy I bought it.

2 weeks in my ‘17 Limited
By Bawana

2017 Ford Explorer 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

I got a SMOKING deal on this 2017 limited- 45% off MSRP(51k), and it was 18 months old with 36k miles and brand new Michelin LTX tires. The bad- front seats seem a little narrow(or I’m just too fat), SYNC3 is a little too busy for me, as I was/am used to SYNC2, mileage could be better19mpgs around town. The good- this thing rides and drives like something costing 3 times as much, interior is well thought out, styling is outstanding, Very easy to get in and out of, the NA 3.5 engine seems to have pretty good power for what it is. To sum it up- a good deal for the money, but would be spectacular if it got better MPGs. I might just have to buy one of those aftermarket tunes in the future.

ditch the smartkey!!
By Dan

2017 Ford Explorer XLT 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

Primarily wifes' vehicle, although I drive occasionally. We have leased for 9 months, and are overall very happy with the vehicle. We do not use sync. bluetooth etc, so cant comment on them. Very roomy, especially compared to our 2018 escape. Handles great in winter. Never even needed 4wd last Michigan winter. Drives through a foot or less of snow with ease. Wife is 5ft, I am 6ft 1, and it is easy to drive and adjust seats and mirrors for both of us. Mileage is about 21-22 overall, which was better than I expected. Only real complaint is the smart(DUMB) key/pushbutton start. This key is constantly either locking or unlocking vehicle when you don't want it to. There is a very real danger of walking away thinking the vehicle is locked, and its not. If you stand too long by vehicle or walk around, the vehicle will unlock without you knowing. You are NOT supposed to use the lock button on the key to lock your vehicle, as there have been numerous warnings about scanners that can steal your code. You should only use the lock button on your door. Whatever you do, dont check to see if its locked by checking the handle. This also includes walking up to vehicle with keys in pocket or purse, and expecting it to unlock and it doesn't. You will wake up neighbors a block away, as horn blasts and lights flash. The smart key does not have an ignition interlock, which allows the vehicle to be turned off in any gear, and I've heard of vehicles rolling down driveways, hills etc-a serious safety issue. Also. should you have issue finding the key, fell on floor, purse tipped over etc and you try leaving, panic alarm will sound until you find it. If it was in the ignition like it has ALWAYS been, this wouldn't be an issue. Somehow key wound up under seat, and took 10 minutes to find with panic alarm going. Would your neighbors appreciate this? FORD..........this is a great vehicle. Don't ruin it with pushbutton start/ smartkeys

Lemon
By Pam

2017 Ford Explorer XLT 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

I bought a 2017 Ford Explorer XLT in November 2017 and by January 2018 the paint started chipping on the top. My vehicle was in the shop for over a week to be painted. Noticed a couple of days ago driver side door doesnt connect to the vehicle correctly and today my plastic looking trim around the door is all coming loose. Absolutley disappointed with this vehicle. Its a shame you pay this much money for a vehicle and its falling apart. Going back to the dealership tomorrow for repairs again. I barely have 7000 miles on it. Big problem.

Less than a month ownership
By eric roux

2017 Ford Explorer Sport 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl Turbo 6A)

Great drive for a 4x4 this size, super comfortable in front and in back. Reliability and value is only from the initial buyers perspective. Compared to other 4x4's it is great value for money.