Used 2011 Ford Explorer SUV Consumer Reviews - 68 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2011 Ford Explorer SUV

View reviews for a specific Explorer model:

DO NOT BUY or LEASE THIS CAR!!!!
By modernart1

2011 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

In May of 2011 I leased a Brand New 2011 Ford Explorer. In July of 2011 I began to have problems with the tire pressure monitor fault sensor. It was going off ever 10 minutes or so every time we drove on a highway. I brought the car into a certified ford dealer to get fixed and 3 days after they fixed it the sensor kept going off again. I had to bring the car in in August and November for the same issue. In March of 2012 my car OVERHEATED!!They had to replace the engine coolant fan.. Yesterday my ford touch screen that controls heat, ac and radio went blank...I have called Ford a few times and they say it does not have enough problems with it to replace the vechile..They are also VERY RUDE!!

New computer software program for my ford touch!! Customer service for Ford is TERRIBLE! If you have a problem they are snotty and act as if you are bothering them.. I have wasted ALOT of time and money in gas bring to and from dealerships to get fixed and there is no compensation. They do not even want to swap my vehicle for a new one with no problems..

Fix Or Repair Daily
By kxteem

2011 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

We purchased our new 2011 Ford Explorer in March of 2011 because the looks sold my Husband and I. From that moment until November 2011 when we finally got rid of it were those most aggravating months dealing with Ford, Ford Reps and several Ford dealers. The My Ford Touch is a driving disaster and constantly takes yours eyes off the road because it does not work.
Our screen froze so many times, and we were left without a/c or heat or radio.
This system is the main brain of this vehicle. The voice commands would not operate either. We have been to the dealer
for an upgrade, and they keep saying that "This will fix the problem".
Also problem with Gas vent hose. Do not buy this vehicle!!

Had a good ride and good gas economy.

Ford really needs to learn once again to remember that customer satisfaction needs to come first. They are all smug because their sales were up during this time that we owned the Ford Explorer. Eventually if they continue on this path, people will not recommend Ford products. They should have had a fix for My ford Touch before they released it!

We Love it!
By jonics

2011 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

Bought the Ford SUV in Dec. 2010 when we traded in a F150. The looks were pleasing and interior comfortable, the back seats folding down for cargo is a plus! On a very cold day the heated seats are great! At the beginning we had several issues with the phones not connecting, had to take it in several times for help with this issue and software updates. Seems to have cleared up. For those who say their phones don't connect all the time,
I found a setting on my BB that fixed that. It says to auto connect instead of prompt and that took care of the problem. I do have problems with the clock changing time but it's not very often. I am happy with it so far.

Love the heated leather seats, the navagation system, SIRIUS radio, rear view back up system and audible alarm when vehicles / people are behind you. Light on side mirrors to let you know a vehicle is coming up next to you. Plenty of room for family with third row seating and all rear seats fold down for cargo. Love having vanity lighted mirrors for both driver and passenger. Rear seat cup holders on door and middle of back seats. Lift gate opener on key.

Side foot railings for help with getting in for elderly and those with disabilities. When both back windows are partially open and you are driving, there is such a horrible noise that envelopes the vehicle it could pop your ear drums. It is a pain to hook up our grandchilds car seat, we hurt/scrape our hands a great deal trying to hook it to the latch...has to be an easier way.

MY Ford Touch *&)(*&(*^(*&%(*&^
By neverfordagain

2011 Ford Explorer SUV Limited 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

Ford Explorer 2011 fully loaded, including the My Ford Touch piece of crap.
I have read the reviews with comments of Ford is working on it & it's complicated & they are trying to make it more intuitive & easier to use.
BS. It doesn't work.
IT locks up. When it's 10pm &-10 below out & you're leaving work & it locks up & you have NO HEATED SEATS, NOTHING WORKS WHEN IT LOCKS!
& there is no override of any sort.
I'll be going back to GMC thanks!
Whatever happened to the lemon law & where the hell are all of the media reports on this!
I had this vehicle since July & nothing from FORD!

Dont' buy ford

Take My Ford, Please
By takemyexplorer

2011 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

Buyer Beware!!!! I've never written a car review, but I felt compelled after purchasing my 2011 Ford Explorer. Let me start off by stating that I had leased 5 Explorers through my old job prior to purchasing my supposed new and improved 2011 Explorer. What a waste of time and money. I've owned the car for less than 7 months and it's already been in the shop 8 times. Lemon Laws do not apply because I've had 5 different problems and did not have the same problem more than 4 times until I had already driven over 12,000 miles. Do not buy this car until they work out all of the "kinks."

Roominess and handling. I'm a big guy (over 6ft tall and 250lbs) and I feel completely comfortable in the car. The car also has a different frame which allows it to drive closer to the ground which results in a much less bumpy ride.

Fix the Sync system!!!! It is a total disaster!!!! It never works. I cannot use my hands-free system, punch in or verbally ask for directions and that's just the beginning.