Used 2007 Ford Explorer SUV Consumer Reviews - 52 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2007 Ford Explorer SUV Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Explorer model:

3rd Ford Explorer/won't be my last
By Lori

2007 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I have owned 3 Ford Explorers now, and have loved each one of them. The first one was a 4 door as I had kids, and the 4 door seemed practical. After the kids left the nest I traded that Explorer ( nothing wrong with it) for a 2 door Explorer sport. I owned that vehicle for 13 years, sold it at 220,000 miles and it is still running great I am told. I had to sell my 2 door because I was starting to have grandchildren, and getting the little ones out of their car seats with a 2 door can be a little tricky. So, now I am back to a 4 door... Life sure revolves! But I love this Ford Explorer just like I loved the other two. The seats are so comfortable, the engine runs good, I feel very safe, and I wouldn't hesitate to drive it from the Carolinas to California! Lately thought my transmission has been a little quirky, it doesn't feel like it is going out, it just shifts a little hard at times... but I have faith in her!! I will always be a Ford Explorer owner.

Good vehicle but showing its age
By Mark P.

2007 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 4dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

This Ford explorer has been a nice little SUV. It has not suffered any major mechanical failures. Just small things like tire pressure sensor failure, air conditioning failure. The 4.0 engine is very peppy and accelerates the vehicle well. I really liked the 7 passenger seating. Its getting older now and lots of little things are failing . The engine and transmission are still strong. The body has held up well, and still no signs of any rust problems on the body. It still looks very good for its age.

Review 2007 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer Loaded
By John Minor

2007 Ford Explorer SUV Eddie Bauer 4dr SUV 4WD (4.6L 8cyl 6A)

I needed a dependable used SUV for some light off road trips for camping and fishing. I found this one with 166,000 miles on it but, for its year, it was in excellent condition. The leather seats were still in very good condition with no cracks or tears. The small V-8 engine is powerful and can pull a trailer it boat. The car drives nice both on and off the highway. It doesn't have all the safety bells and whistles a new explorer would, but it was perfect for my needs. Best of all was the price-$4500!!!

Update: I have been on several trips to Idaho and this car has run great! Very Dependable! Also it pulls my 30 ft travel trailer just fine with a leveler hitch. The V-8 engine is plenty powerful. This only repair I have made in driving 12,000 miles (now at 177,000) is the master cylinder. Still extremely happy with my purchase!!!
The only somewhat negative comment I have is the fuel economy is not that great,about 12-14 mpg, but I knew that was the case when I chose to get a V-8 for the pulling power.

Obviously Ford has built a quality SUV in the Explorer; I believe I'll still be using this one 300,000 miles with no major problems.

The gold mobile
By Sue

2007 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 4dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Third row seating is fun for children under the age of 12. Heating and a/c are great throughout the vehicle. Adults can sit in the third row without difficulty up to approximately 6 feet tall and 200 pounds

Great vehicle
By Matt Daley

2007 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Love this vehicle, Minimal problems, Front wheel bearings were the most costly item I have put on this vehicle. Most maintenece items such as brakes, oil, tires.