Used 2006 Ford Explorer Consumer Reviews - 184 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2006 Ford Explorer

View reviews for a specific Explorer model:

Bad Radiator
By Nate

2006 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer 4dr SUV 4WD (4.6L 8cyl 6A)

*Contact Ford about your BAD RADIATOR! I have a 2006 Ford Explorer and I have had the same "bad radiator" experience that many other people have posted about. At 45,000 miles it started to leek and finally began to separate from the vehicle. I wrote a letter to Ford about the problem and they sent a letter back to me with a number to call. I called and spoke with a representative who took down all of my info, she told me if they get enough complaints they will post a recall and we can get a reimbursement for the repairs we had to pay for. If you haven't already contacted them, do it!

Must do a recall for the radiator problems they are having.

Bad radiator
By gn

2006 Ford Explorer XLT 4dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

It will surge at slow speeds while going forward or reverse. Now at 41,000 miles the radiator has sprung a leak. The dealer says this is the first they have heard of explorers having radiator problems. A fun thing to do is when you see someone with a 2006 explorer ask them if they have replaced the radiator yet. You get a surprised look and an answer like "how did you know?"

Ford needs to own up to the bad radiators and stand behind the product.

NoMoreFords
By NoMoreFords

2006 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Thank God for the extended warranty. 3 radiators, 1 A/C, shifter column, back windshield motor, tire sensor, and 4 other problems later I'm done with Ford. Several problems lurking too (transmission, 4 wheel drive). This vehicle is a piece of junk after 20,000 miles. Too bad cause I like the styling. Trading it in soon for a 4Runner. Resale value was surprising positive.

Transmission
By AmandaP

2006 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I didn't have any problems with this car, in fact, I bragged to my husband all the time about how much I loved it. Then at 55,000 miles I was broke down on the side of the road an hour away from home because the transmission went out with no warning. Then it cost $2,200 to fix it.

The size is perfect.

Transmission!

OMG - And I thought that it was just me
By Christina

2006 Ford Explorer XLS 4dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I purchased my 06 Ford Explorer brand new off of the lot in Sept 06. Around 38K miles I had a radiator leak. I called Ford corporate and to no avail they would not negotiate with me on the radiator since it was out of the 30K warranty. Several months later while attempting to get out of my driveway, the gearshift was stuck in park. After an hour I was able to get it, but after that the transmission would shift horribly from Park into reverse. I took it to the dealer and told them that it had to be because of the sticking gearshift (that was recalled) only to be told that that transmission needed to be partially replaced. I'm at 68K miles and I refuse to replace the transmission on a 3.5 year old car.

This is my second Ford truck that has had problems early on in its life. Instead of the dealer telling me to "come in and trade it" please just fix the car correctly the first time! I have two fam members who are Ford employees and so I try to stay true to their profession, but ENOUGH ALREADY!