Used 2006 Ford Explorer Consumer Reviews - 188 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2006 Ford Explorer

View reviews for a specific Explorer model:

The car from transmission and radiator hell
By Rebecca Lawsen

2006 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

So.... to start off my story. I want to say that we have never purchased an explorer new. They have all been used. The first 2002 eddie baur explorer we got had 20,000 and the 2006 one im reviewing had 80,000. So the 2002 explorer we owned had 4 transmissions, and 2 engines. Now, that was not terrible, overall we replaced it because it was getting old. We put 490,000 miles on it. Thats a pretty decent vehicle. However, this 2006 one is getting traded in for something different in late october. We got this car aprox. 2 years ago. Its already had 2 transmission problems, the engine runs hot daily, and the radiator is for $#@&. I am actually scared when I find out that I have to drive out of state for a meeting. Please, I beg of you, do not buy a 2006 explorer. Better yet, don't even buy an explorer. We've had one all my childrens lives and the amount of money we have had to soak into both of them could have gotten me a range rover I could have still had to this day. Also logic wise, the rear climate control is in the front of the car.... I shouldnt have to have my kids tell me when to adjust their air. It should have been placed in the back like every other SUV ever made. My radio lights all went out, dont really know why. Basically to the point, transmissions need to either be lying around in your garage with some radiators or this car just isn't for you.

Original owner of Second Limited
By Steve

2006 Ford Explorer Limited 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 6A)

Wife and I Leased an exact model as the one we have had since 2006. Turned the Leased one in and bought the '06 we have now.
Wife has been the primary driver of the vehicle and it just turned over 86,000 miles. The Custom Carpeted Floor Mats were covered with Clear Plastics mats the same day she got it, so the floor mats have never had shoes on them and the ones in the 3rd row have never even feet on them as nobody ever has been in those seats!
The Rear Air is mostly used to keep groceries cool while getting them home and after 11 years, blows just as icy cold as the Front Dual Controlled Unit! The Rear Entertainment System is still a good diversion from the heat or when hiding from the Honey Do List!
The greatest thing so far is that we STILL have NOT had to replace the Brakes OR Suspension items. Had the Dealership go ahead and do the 100K mile service since the years are causing issues with seal and gaskets, causing lights to come on. Did have to replace the Radiator as the neck just finally gave up. The battery is on its grandson and that is about all for major issues. Had to replace a dead driver's side window motor last year.
At this point, we are considering getting a new vehicle and had thought about getting rid of the Explorer BUT, would still need a second vehicle and since we already OWN this one and with gas prices having dropped, it is MORE likely we will just keep it.
Have shown the wife every SUV/Crossover on the market, even her beloved Explorers (She has had 3 all together) and while she DOES love the New Explorer, she has become infatuated with the New Edge!
Either way, I look forward to keeping this Explorer for a good long time to come!
ADED October 26, 2016:
STILL have this Explorer. Just turned over 94,000 miles and STILL going strong.
Have the original Brakes and Shocks on vehicle and just now starting to look at replacing the shocks at next tire purchase, early next year or when we hit 100,000 Miles.
Still a daily driver and has become our only vehicle for the past 7 months. May purchase a new vehicle next year as my wife will be retiring then. Wll keep this Explorer as a back up and a stylish way to go to the Garden shop or Lowes as well as getting around town for the weekly trips.
STILL get looks and great comments about the way it looks.....Mostly garaged even at work and when shopping.
Wife is torn between a new one and going to a nice coupe or sedan.
More to come.
4/26/17.....Just had the Explorer in the shop (Ford) for its 100K Check up. STILL has just under that (99,300 miles) and STILL has Original Brakes, Shocks and EVERYTHING STILL works. Only thing they addressed during service was the Transmission having a slight hesitation from 1st to 2nd gear....FIXED!
Now with the Wife retiring, it will get driven even less with the RETIREMENT CAR having been purchased this month.
Going to continue to drive this vehicle for a few more years. Nice to know we have Multiple Standing Offers for it when we are ready.
10/27/17.....Just turned 100,700 miles....have stopped driving our Explorer as ofter....Wife finally retired in May. Looked at New 2017 Explorers and after careful thought, decided we just do not need a larger vehicle and made the choice to go Luxury Sedan.
Kia Cadenza is my Wife's new baby. Her old one is now relegated to having to be outside and under a car cover for the first time since we bought it.
Will likely be selling this amazing vehicle early next year.......New tires, ORIGINAL SHOCKS and BRAKES (and still in great shape). The only two issues with the entire vehicle as of today......Right Rear Seat will not go down any longer and the 6 CD Changer has stopped ejecting/loading.
Ford wants 800 for the radio and maybe 250 - 300 for the seat.
Likely will not fix before seling.

Common long term problems related to poor design
By Bobby

2006 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 6A)

I've experience the following problems in owning this vehicle during the last 7 years;
- Paint peeling off of the roof
- Leaky cowl seal which leaks rain water into spar plug holes which shorts out the coils, fowls the spark plugs, causing the engine to run rich, overheating the exhaust, warping the exhaust manifolds, breaking the exhaust manifold studs and frying out the catalytic converters. To top it off, the spark plugs get stuck in the head and break off when changing them.
- Cracked plastic radiator tank
- Transmission leaks when parked on a hill and the fluid level can't be checked or topped off from the engine compartment.
- Oxidizing plastic door panels
- Bad moon roof switch caused moon roof to open at random and unable to close.
- CD's stuck in the changer
- Broken e-brake handle
- Broken lumbar adjuster

Buying a new car
By LARRY LEWIS

2006 Ford Explorer XLS 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I know one thing . You won"t get this car for 5000.

Radiator/transmission repeated problems.
By Brenda B.

2006 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer 4dr SUV 4WD (4.6L 8cyl 6A)

My complaint is to Ford! Why after three (3) radiators being replaced in my 2006 EB Ford Explorer, they never told me they were having trouble with the replacement radiator company! So they kept putting the SAME brand radiator in and charging me labor each time. And AGAIN today, I am facing the same experience! I have been a loyal customer to them....this is the "thank"!