Used 2006 Ford Explorer Consumer Reviews - 183 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2006 Ford Explorer

View reviews for a specific Explorer model:

Great vehicle
By Evelyn

2006 Ford Explorer XLT 4dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Purchased it when it was 2 years old been a great suv. Nice styling overall great built like a tank

2006 transmission problems
By Loretta

2006 Ford Explorer Limited 4dr SUV 4WD (4.6L 8cyl 6A)

I bought this from a mechanic shop
Took it out of town it was ok when I got back the transmission went out i have no reverse after i pay 6000 i only had it 4 mouths lnow i have to come up with 1200 and it not easy when you live on Social Security

Great Family Car
By Helpful Ford Owner

2006 Ford Explorer XLT 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Bought this car used with 14,000 miles on it back in 2008. I have the "Advance Trac" version with the 4.0ltr V6, they were the really base model and I don't see many of them around. They also didn't have the gobs of chrome the other models came with, which means mine has aged pretty gracefully and looks a lot like the more recent Expeditions. It's been garaged kept and I have given it regular recommended maintenance. I have managed to put over 90,000 miles on it since I purchased it, aside from a leaky thermostat housing which I replaced myself at 50,000 miles for about $80 total, it's been a good truck.

First I'll start with the negatives. At very low speeds the transmission feels like there is a guy in there with a sledge hammer shifting gears. The back seat is not really that comfortable for adults, it's really sad, I think my 01 2dr Explorer sport had a more comfortable and roomy back seat than my 06 4dr. The motor has a lot of low end torque at low city speeds which is great, but at highway speed the V6 struggles when it comes to passing. I am a pretty easy driver but I can barely coax over 16mpg out of it with a mix of highway and city driving.

My car is pretty bare bones and I like it that way, not much to go wrong. AC works great, so does the heat power windows are nice and so is cruise control. Front seat is very comfortable for me and I like the commanding view. Its very torquey on the low end so it does well around town. I've never towed anything but I bet it would do ok at low speeds, I'd hate to take anything heavy on the highway though. For the last 5 years it has been the commuter vehicle for my family, fits two children in the back comfortably and 3 in a pinch. LOTS of room in the trunk for stuff, and believe me I have needed every inch. I don't have the fold flat 3rd row of seats, but I do get some pretty nifty storage compartments under the deck instead.

I'm very happy with my Explorer, it's been pretty dependable. I had an 01 Explorer Sport which had over 170,000 miles on it when I got rid of it (still ran well too) so I hope that this one will last as long.

Tranny and thermostat out at 119,000 miles
By Jess

2006 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer 4dr SUV 4WD (4.6L 8cyl 6A)

It is a very roomy car. I love the climate control. I have 4 kids. And i pull a trailer with it nearly everyday. I expected my tranny to die young she gets a lot of stress. But overall it has been an amazing car...i have now proudly owned 4 different ford explorers.

Over 102,000 miles and still doing well!
By mhs48128

2006 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Never towed a thing with it and that's probably why I have no trany or radiator issues. Also, garaged in winter. Yeah, a minor radiator leak and I'm watching it! Always had a slightly rough truck "ride". Comfortable front buckets. 2nd seat o.k. but 3rd seat is a "pop-up" rumble seat! Only two complaints: A "glass chin" front grille with no real bumper--not front "crashworthy". Stupid orange dashboard idiot messages. Currently lit: tire pressure sensor and gas cap leak & engine light (for same reason), and no way to turn them off permanently. (Must use reset button.) Both useless "errors" and not major. Otherwise, quite reliable. AC still works. Over 102,000 is a good life span, so far!

Adjustable power driver's seat. 3rd row manual seat. Speed control. Extra power plugs. Fog lights. Bose audio system. Not a feature, but so far, it always starts, and is quite reliable year-round.

A real 5 mph bumper on the front end. A more fuel-efficient engine. Back up radar warnings and cameras. Side avoidance sensors. "Idiot messages" that can be turned off at will.