Used 2006 Ford Explorer SUV Consumer Reviews - 184 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2006 Ford Explorer SUV

View reviews for a specific Explorer model:

All around bad S.U.V.
By Jake

2006 Ford Explorer SUV XLS 4dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I use this SUV at work and it just plain sucks. My car has more horsepower and it has been in the shop 3 times in little over a year. 1st issue was the tire sensor error would not clear. Next was the rear windshield wiper had a mind of its own. Then the CV joints went out ohh and even after 3 separate attempts by Ford the tire pressure error still wont go away.

Is a company owned vehicle and thank god not mine!

More HP, more trim on the outside looks really cheap, inside door handles and a pain no one can ever find them.

Best SUV
By uglyflamm

2006 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I bought this SUV for the wife, she never gets to drive it. I love this thing. I drive the heck out of it, it already almost have 50,000 miles. We live in Germany everyone told me not to buy a Ford because the engines can't take it. I drive it over 100 mph almost everyday the engine has held on great have had no problems at all not even a leak the engine still looks like the day I picked it up at the port. I get an oil change almost every other month. The only issue is a speaker in the passenger side rear door blew a few months ago. Other than that everythings great! Plenty of room and comfortable. If the computer is right I get about 17.8 mpg.

Everything,

Wish i could have gotten a black interior.

Ford needs to Wake up!
By DickandJane

2006 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 4dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

This is the worst Ford I have ever owned. 27000 miles and numerous problems. The radiator is leaking and they will now have to replace it. The chrome grill is bubbling, and Ford dealer says its not covered on warranty. (HMMM! Defective part not covered) There was an obnoxious vibration (Rattle) in the steering wheel. The dealer said there was an advisory out on that. They must replace the lower steering rod. The other things I dislike: The gas mileage sucks. I should have kept my 2005 v8 4wd F150. My F150 got about the same MPG and had way more power than this hunk of crap. There is no heated mirrors! Every car has them now. No XM radio. Get with the times already. All in all don't buy a Ford

none

Throw the towel in!!! Ford needs to back there product. No wonder why people buy foreign.. I have a 1996 Toyota Corolla with 130K and it hasn't had any problems (Knock on wood)

Last Explorer for me
By Aaron

2006 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 4dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

This is the fourth Ford Explorer we have owned. It is by far the worst!!! Extremely poor fuel economy. 7-9mpg in winter, and maybe 13mpg in the summer. Dealership, cant seem to figure the problem out, and isn't fixed yet. Also, don't ever get rear ended, because there isn't much of a bumper. Its all plastic. I don't like the RSC system either. I don't like the fact you cant over-ride the system when needed. It leaves you completely handi-capped in the deep snow. The vehicle is a little sluggish on the take off.

Nice riding compared to older Explorers. I like the additional cupholders, and the optional 3rd row seat. I like the instrument cluster, and think the vehicle is comfortable. I really like the interior.

Better fuel economy!! Put the fuel door on passenger side. Needs bigger side mirrors. Put a real bumper on the thing, and bolt the receiver hitch to the frame, instead of welding it.

Decent Vehicle - Lousy Interior
By Thomas Judge

2006 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 4dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

This was our 8th consecutive Ford vehicle, and will probably be our last. Overall, this SUV had the potential to be a great vehicle, but an awful interior design and numerous quality issues ruined it. The 4.0L engine and 5-speed trans are terrific. Body style, ride, handling, etc. all very good. Excellent for moderate towing - we towed a boat and dual snowmobile trailer. The interior is awful. Poor hiproom, inaccessible parking brake release, stupid/awkward door pulls. Experienced following failures: broken lumabar mechanism, 4wd motor failed, PB release failed, engine failed to start, shift lever locked in park. Ford botched an otherwise decent vehicle.

Engine performance, towing capability, quite cabin, decent ride.

Ditch the entire interior and start over. Re-design doors/console to allow some hiproom. Move Parking Brake release within reach of the driver. Replace the seat surface cloth with something that doesn't soak stains like a sponge, and that can actually be cleaned.