Used 2006 Ford Explorer Consumer Reviews - 187 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2006 Ford Explorer

View reviews for a specific Explorer model:

Good, but could be better
By lagonzal

2006 Ford Explorer XLT 4dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I bought it used with 59963 miles on the odo for $16500. No problems so far. Replaces an 07 4Runner which was totalled in a crash. I didn't feel like spending another 30 grand on a 4Runner so I went with the cheaper Ford. This is my weekend vehicle. Mon thru Fri I use my much more economical Camry. Didn't realize it was a 4x4 til I took it home and saw the buttons on the dash, neither did the salesman, oh well. Overall, a decent family vehicle which fits nicely in my garage, but the 4Runner was lighter and got better gas mileage and overall felt a tad more refined.

Great turning radius, love the fold flat seats which come in handy for extra passengers, smooth and quiet ride, uncluttered dash layout with simple controls.

Base v6 needs an overhaul to better compete with rivals. Running boards feel flimsy and should be improved. Why no crossbars on roof rack?

Nice Style - Poor Quality
By Bill

2006 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer 4dr SUV 4WD (4.6L 8cyl 6A)

Get the V-8. I get 20 mpg on a trip at 65. Nice looking truck but poor Ford quality - I've had it 4 mos with 2 major breakdowns. No problems with the transmission. The dealer was great and I'm glad I got the extended warranty. The 18' chrome rims look great. I've previously had Pilots - not as nice looking but far more reliable. I am impressed with the ride and how quiet it is at highway speeds.

V-8. Plenty of performance with reasonable gas mileage. 18' Chrome rims. Style. Safety features. Reclining rear seats. Third seat option is very spacious. Very comfortable interior. High depreciation made a great used car buy!

Better mechanical quality. Blind spots with rear headrests (especially third row). Redesign rear cupholders currently on center console - I'm always bumping my daughters drinks on the floor. Sliding rear seat.

Explorer XLT 06 diappointment
By Ford Explorer XLT

2006 Ford Explorer XLT 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I loved my Explorer at first. The drive is nice & smooth. I am 5' 2" and the driver's seat was an excellent fit for me one of the reasons I bought it. The color was a great match to the inside interior color. Do not like where the front hood release hard to see the lever and the parking brake the same way. Since I bought it I have had it towed back to dealer and in the dealership at least 7 times (bought Oct.06)

The way it drives is nice, steering is pretty good. Like how paint outside matched inside interior. I am a women and cup holders not big concern. The side air bags were very important.The electric seat was big deal I am short. I can see with the way I was able to manuver the it. Rear wiper.

Running boards standard.

All around bad S.U.V.
By Jake

2006 Ford Explorer XLS 4dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I use this SUV at work and it just plain sucks. My car has more horsepower and it has been in the shop 3 times in little over a year. 1st issue was the tire sensor error would not clear. Next was the rear windshield wiper had a mind of its own. Then the CV joints went out ohh and even after 3 separate attempts by Ford the tire pressure error still wont go away.

Is a company owned vehicle and thank god not mine!

More HP, more trim on the outside looks really cheap, inside door handles and a pain no one can ever find them.

Best SUV
By uglyflamm

2006 Ford Explorer XLT 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I bought this SUV for the wife, she never gets to drive it. I love this thing. I drive the heck out of it, it already almost have 50,000 miles. We live in Germany everyone told me not to buy a Ford because the engines can't take it. I drive it over 100 mph almost everyday the engine has held on great have had no problems at all not even a leak the engine still looks like the day I picked it up at the port. I get an oil change almost every other month. The only issue is a speaker in the passenger side rear door blew a few months ago. Other than that everythings great! Plenty of room and comfortable. If the computer is right I get about 17.8 mpg.

Everything,

Wish i could have gotten a black interior.