Used 2006 Ford Explorer Consumer Reviews - 184 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2006 Ford Explorer

View reviews for a specific Explorer model:

Never again
By Rebecah

2006 Ford Explorer XLT 4dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

This is my first (and LAST) Ford. 2 radiator replacements. The heater does not work anymore and I now have to replace the housing and gasket which supplies coolant to the radiator. Waste of $ and time. This is not a reliable vehicle.

Luv almost all of it!
By Scotch&Cigars

2006 Ford Explorer XLT 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I purchased my SUV with 40000 miles. I now have about 72000 miles and have had nothing but good luck with it. Although the gas mileage is a little lower than I'd like, I bought an SUV, so I'm not going to complain. No problems with the power train, electronics, or anything else with the mechanics. The only problem has been with the front driver's seat comfort. A large person must have owned it prior to me and mashed out the seat, which I didn't notice until I sat for a longer drive.

Almost everything

Front seat comfort (for a larger man), Gas Mileage

Someone Take Mine!
By M. Murphy

2006 Ford Explorer XLT 4dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Year 1: gear shifter replaced. Dash electronics went nuts and computer needed to be reset. Year 2: rear shocks blew out (I have a 4 mile commute!) Exhaust hose blew and fuel filter resembled that of a car with 100k miles. Both replaced. Currently in the shop because the transmission feels like it is ready to drop. Car has 24k miles.

Comfortable, front grill redesign is classy

"build Ford tough"... hardly.

Chronic radiator problems
By Wendy

2006 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer 4dr SUV 4WD (4.6L 8cyl 6A)

Bought my Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer when it was just 2 years old. I've had it for 9 1/2 months and am on the 6th radiator! Yes, you heard correctly...even a reputable Ford auto shop can not find the source of the problem. So the radiator keeps getting replaced and every 1-2 months (this time it was literally only a matter of 1 week!)...it ends up leaking radiator fluid everywhere, overheating and roaring/not running properly. This was the worst purchase I've ever made and now I fell totally stuck. I HATE this car and will NEVER EVER EVER buy Ford again...Nothing but a big hassle, headache, money pit and inconvenience.

Great So Far
By xploder06

2006 Ford Explorer Limited 4dr SUV 4WD (4.6L 8cyl 6A)

I have had this vehicle going on almost 3 years and love it! First, the negatives. The first year I owned it I had the 4WD motor and shifter replaced. During the second year, I experienced the common "clunk" when starting from rest or moving slowly then pressing on the gas. Initially, dealer replaced faulty transmission part and re-flashed computer. Computer had to be re-flashed again recently to totally fix the problem. All covered under warranty. Now the positives. The cabin is ultra quiet when driving highway speeds of 65 mph or more. Lots of cargo space, decent performance, and very comfortable seats on long trips. Best mid-sized SUV out there IMO!

Stereo (love the feature that automatically reduces volume when speed is reduced), dual climate control, rear backup sensor, comfort, quiet cabin.

Nav. system isn't the easiest to learn. Could use a few more storage compartments up front.