Used 2006 Ford Explorer SUV Consumer Reviews - 184 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2006 Ford Explorer SUV

View reviews for a specific Explorer model:

My OTHER Lady
By ChrisnIndy

2006 Ford Explorer SUV Eddie Bauer 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I purchased my white-beauty brand- spankin' used in Dec 08. I still have a daily sedan, but I love the days when I drive my truck. It's so smooth and it feels solid, planted and secure. I have had two problems, a failed radiator(which is fairly common with this Explorer) and both my power outlets failed. All was covered under warranty. I love the high seating position and it's nice when travelling. The cabin is very capacious with the seats folded down. I have saved so much money when buying large items that previously would have required paying for delivery. This is my first Ford and my first SUV. I will definitely be steering my wife toward that new Taurus when her car needs replacing!!

Smooth engine, headrests that fold down, backup warning, three rows of HVAC vents, Brawny yet tasteful interior. Third row folds completly flat and the second row nearly as much. Supple, composed ride quality.

Direct Auxilary Input on the radio. It's a pain lugging around my adaptor so that I can listen to my iphone satellite radio. Real time fuel consumption moniter that displays averages in numbers and not a bar- chart type readout. a power outlet in the third row.

06 Explorer Ltd V-8 4wd
By rowekmr

2006 Ford Explorer SUV Limited 4dr SUV 4WD (4.6L 8cyl 6A)

This is my 3rd Explorer. Bought it because I needed 3 rows of seats and the 4.6L engine/tow package for towing. I got it with 22K miles and now going on 3 yrs later I got 73K. It tows loads well (up to 8,000#) gets excellent mpg on the highway (24-25mpg) and can squeeze in many adults and kids. I had the hesitation problem as others but it was very intermittent. I get the high rpm shift sqeak off of the accessory drive. Dealership acts like they are normal and does quick fixes (don't work). Get the ext warranty if its loaded because the stuff is expensive to repair. My heated seat went out but was covered.

Plenty power and smooth shifting 6 sp trans that is versatile. Really nice interior that is quiet. Electric fold 3 rd are great. Great cruising economy, set cruise at 65 and will get 25 mpg on level ground (older V-6 one for 17- 19mpg)

The interior door handle which was reworked in later years. Do something with the software to get the engine and trans better inline with the driver's input.

fantastic vehicle
By jarrad

2006 Ford Explorer SUV Eddie Bauer 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I have had alot of vehicles before, this has been one of the best. I was scared at first of buying a ford so I bought a service contact for repairs. I have not had one thing go wrong in the vehcle. I would buy another one again.

Navi and looks

better door panel plastics

Radiator Problems
By jashmon

2006 Ford Explorer SUV Eddie Bauer 4dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Bought the 2006 Ford Explorer, Eddie Bauer edition, and thought I had a great deal. Wrong!! Had to replace the radiator and thermosatat in October 2009 because of a leak cost me $823.00. I've owned a lot of cars, older and newer, and have never had to replace the radiator. Get this...the radiator is not covered by the warranty or the extended warranty I bought from Ford. My next and future vehicles WILL NOT be a Ford. Foreign cars here I come.

Ford Certified ???
By Tim

2006 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 4dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Bought this Ford used two months ago with a Ford Certified guarantee. 169 point inspection? Well, they missed a few things... almost immediatly we noticed a hesitation when accelerating on the highway, but it was rare and never presented when we took it to the shop. Over the last month it was more frequent and this week when we took it in they said the transmission needed to be replaced. While working on it, they also found the radiator has a leak and will need to be replaced. This is a 3 year old truck with 55,000 miles! Not what we expected from Ford.