Used 2005 Ford Explorer SUV Consumer Reviews - 149 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2005 Ford Explorer SUV

View reviews for a specific Explorer model:

Transmission problems
By Car owner

2005 Ford Explorer SUV XLS Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

We purchased the vehicle new 4 years ago. We had not had any problems until recently when the car started to stall upon ignition. The transmission light came on and the problems have now begun. We have 146,000 miles on the SUV and really expected to get more before any major problems. Per conversation with Ford service department and an independent transmission company, the prognosis is the torque converter and TCC solenoid (valve body). The cost to repair is $2700 to $6500 before taxes. It is amazing after reading so many reviews that the same problem is evident in the majority of the reviews from those with 70,000 miles or more. We had a Ford car with similar problems before. No more Ford

We do not have any favorite features. It is just a normal SUV with a truck ride.

Rear air More car like ride Better interior design

Lemon
By alebt

2005 Ford Explorer SUV Eddie Bauer 4WD 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 5A)

This is our second Explorer and unless we get one for free, our last. The transmission went out at 35,000. The 4WD computer failed at 40,000. The bearings are bad at 45,000. The back hatch has cracked. It has been a miserable money pit. Had we had much other choice in small V8 we would have selected differently. Ford needs to really upgrade quality and reliability in this model.

The interior is nice.

If a manufacturer isn't willing to offer a 10 year 100,000 mile warranty on transmission components and other critical parts etc, DON'T MAKE THE CAR!!!

Will buy another
By US Car faithful

2005 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Purchased used with 33,000 miles now have 88,000 I have had no problems at all. 20 miles per gallon w/air and 18 city. Change oil every 3000 miles. Air does blow on my feet though when it is put on upper flow only. Runs great good pickup to pass when air off. Will purchase another. Had Chevy Lumina and had to replace engine at 100,000 miles, Had Buick Regal had continuous problems Had 2003 Implala some problems and traded in on the 05 Explorer. Glad I did.

Seat comfort I do long drives to FL. Good gas mileage for this size. Tight feel.

Air flow,

Won't have another one...
By ryan

2005 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Overall, the vehicle has been pretty reliable, but the transmission has been horrible from the get-go. It kicks real hard when going into reverse and response time is super slow at all times. Rear windows stick at times. A crack suddenly appeared next to the ford logo on the back. Have since noticed several other explorers with the same crack. This was my first new vehicle and has not left me with a good impression of American vehicles.

Roomy, comfortable, good-looking.

Throttle body/transmission needs work, 6 disc changer would be nice, gas mileage is a letdown.

Transmission
By John

2005 Ford Explorer SUV XLS 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I have heard lots of stories about bad trannies. Changed all my fluids at 30,000. I was told that this might be an important factor in the longevity of the transmission. Mine has always had an annoying jerk going from park into gear even from new. (My 4runner was a smooth bump like it should be) Other than that and the LR window not working all the time it really hasn't given me any problems.

Lots of cargo space. Handles nice on the freeway.

12 miles per gallon or worse in town with the 4.0? Wow! I could'a had a V8!