Used 2005 Ford Explorer SUV Consumer Reviews - 149 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2005 Ford Explorer SUV

View reviews for a specific Explorer model:

2005 FORD EXPLORER XLT
By jeff279

2005 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 4WD 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 5A)

This is one of the best suv's we have ever owned!
We have owned it for 4 yrs and no problems at all Only thing we have done is a battery and alt.
Starts no matter how cold.
Great on snow
Alot of room for a xlt.
Great value
Love the all wheel drive

Loaded...moonroof xlt

Maybe a dvd player

Now Scared and Confused
By gespin

2005 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Bought my 2005 Explorer XLT in 2006 with 18K miles on it. My wife drives it for the most part and only has 76K in Jan 2014; it is and has been the PERFECT vehicle. A Utah to Texas trip once a year and normal driving in the city.
Prior to reading some of the horror stories below I slept well at night but I will toss and turn tonight. I bought it expecting similar reliability as I did with my '93 F-150 which gave me 225K miles before I sold it but will now look over my shoulder. I do maintain it religiously though, hopefully that explains my experience I can only hope.

Perfect except for lack of USB or MP3 interface which was not available in 2005.

None. (maybe 200K miles with same results)

Kinda Like My Explorer
By tigger22

2005 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I got my explorer as a second vehicle because I was trying to keep my miles low on my 2009 Mazda 6 SI sport fully loaded. At 97K and for my engine to be running as well i t does, I made a good decision. Disadvantage is my transmission doesn't switch as quiclk as my mazda but I deal with it. I wove how I could go outside in the snow and no one else can drive like I can. Overall its a good secondary car and as long as its good to me , ill be good to it.

The 4X4 is one of the best features about it.

Better turnover on transmission.

Explorer does work but is no Jaguar
By bonschmidt

2005 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Recently hit 116k miles. I started driving it around 112k. I drive this SUV as hard as I drive my 2001 Jaguar XJ8. I whip it around corners, accelerate hard, weave it through the twists at high speeds and the Explorer takes it all pretty well... but doesn't give me feedback like the Jag does. It doesn't react, and driving is not enjoyable as much as it is scary. I freak out and feel like I'm losing control of it, something I've never experienced in the XJ8. But the Explorer is resilient. The transmission has handled my coasting-in-neutral practice, high speed travels and incessant shifting well. With my driving style, abominable gas mileage is not just occasional, its expected.

Backseat windows go all the way down! No safety stop! Inexpensive to repair. Tows well. Easy to clean.

Better gas mileage. More responsive.

Ok except for the transmission
By whizkidcat

2005 Ford Explorer SUV XLT Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

We bought our Explorer in 2005 new.
It ran great for 36,000 miles.
It now has 68,000 miles.
The best gas mileage we have gotten is 18 hwy/11 city with a constant average of 14.6.
NOT very desirable.
No repairs, just regular maintenance for 3 years.
Shortly after 36,000 miles we had problems with the reverse: going into reverse and going from reverse into drive.
It would take about 3 to 5 seconds for the gears to catch and move the car.
After a new transmission everything else started to go wrong.
Interesting that until we took it to the dealer we had no other problems! The blinkers work intermittently, the rear windows work sometimes or NOT and the leather is cracking sides/edges.

The SUV is leather seats are comfortable in back and front. Lots of leg room for me in back, not so much my tall husband. I like the look of the SUV. I like the dash, NO sun reflection!

Better gas mileage! The new HD trucks get better gas mileage! Quality leather. Better made transmission.