Used 2005 Ford Explorer Consumer Reviews - 149 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2005 Ford Explorer

View reviews for a specific Explorer model:

What a great SUV!
By Best Car I've owned

2005 Ford Explorer XLT Sport 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

This is by far the best SUV I have owned. I am so in love with the way it drives, the fact that I don't feel like I am going to get blown off the road due to it being "too light" and the room for my children is great! My husband is 6'4" and he has plenty of room in any seat.

The comfort of the driver's seat, the stereo, 6 disc CD changer, 3rd row seat, sunroof, color (metallic blue), oh and so much more!

I knew what to expect with the gas mileage before I bought it, therefore, that doesn't matter much. Perhaps a little more cargo room.

My Dream Car
By Miranda White

2005 Ford Explorer XLT Sport Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

This was the vehicle I always wanted, and I got exactly what I had hoped for. It gets great gas mileage off the 4.0L V6 and is comfortable and safe to drive. I have the DVD system and my kids love it. My husband even enjoys driving it. I get a lot of comments on the color which is Ford's new Stone Metallic. I would recommend anyone with a family to buy a Ford Explorer.

DVD entertainment system, leather interior, moonroof, keyless entry, curtain airbags system, roll stability system. I have too many to list. I also love the color (Stone Metallic).

I would recommend one thing. Place a trunk latch button in the inside front driver's side of the vehicle.

Ford Swiss Army Knife (Explorer)
By James Eroh

2005 Ford Explorer XLS Sport 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

The only true complaints about my Explorer have to do with why they put carpet in a four wheel drive. Out of the box my Explorer has never left me stuck for more than a minute. I just would back up and charge again! I bought the beast for Sierra snows when my job had me there for a year, but this thing cruises down the interstate so smooth that it is hard for some people to realize just how tough terrain is so easy in the Explorer. I average 19-20 mpg, with the worst being 16 mpg during an off road adventure trip.

The steering wheel mounted cruise control buttons are really great, as is the light that confirms that the control is active. The Michelin SUV A/T tires that came with my Explorer are better offroad than I imagined, and super smooth on the interstate, with great grip on twisty roads.

On the stock 7 inch wide wheels, put on the taller 245/75-16 tires. Of course, 8 inch wide wheels would be better, with 255/70-16 or 265/70-16 tires for better ground clearance with the great Explorer handling and ride! Add a 3 Liter V6 turbo diesel to the power options.

The Best for the money
By devdog

2005 Ford Explorer Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Purchased as Ford began their employee pricing plan for all. The Explorer originally wasn't on the list, but I was surprised after driving one. I considered the Pathfinder, 4-Runner and other 6-7 passenger mid-sized SUVs. It accelerated as well, rides as well, handles as well and looks as good as all other truck based SUVs on the market. I don't do any heavy offroading so it is perfect for the fishing trail or snow covered road. I traded an Murano for this vehicle due to problems with the Murano and the fact that it could not handle the occasional fishing trail. I added a NAV system, new air intake and exhaust to complete the package. You can not get a better vehicle for the price.

Push button 4x4 switches, audiophile radio, turning radius, interior space, initial cost value vs. competitors (fully loaded 4x4 Limited under 30K), the wife is happy!

Addition of Navigation, free-flow intake and better exhaust, 18 inch wheels with larger footprint, power fold third row seats, power tail gate.

Not a lemon yet
By scottk_61

2005 Ford Explorer XLT Sport Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

We bought the vehicle and were unable to even leave the dealership. It died right there. The dealership replaced the complete fuel system at Ford's advice which seemed to take care of the problem. Now at 8000 miles, the rear end is shot as well as transmission problems and axle bearing problems. The vehicle is beautiful and rids very nicely ... when it runs.

Body design and interior are great. Very good leather work.

Fix the rear end on these, I have seen 7 other '05s in for service with rear end problems.