Used 2005 Ford Explorer SUV Consumer Reviews - 146 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2005 Ford Explorer SUV

View reviews for a specific Explorer model:

Ford Explorer
By Geoff

2005 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 4WD 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 5A)

Just a very cool car to drive.

Automatic seating position & DVD.

Average 10mpg not good.

Broken Gas Gauge
By 4work

2005 Ford Explorer SUV XLS 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

This car was provided by my employer for work. We have had it in the shop 3 times and going on 4 due to the gas gauge not working. Dealer says Ford knows about the problem and hasn't been able to find a permanent fix and also there are not enough cars with the problem to issue a recall. We were told to try different gas and a fuel additive (said it sometimes works on other ones), problem is employer provides gas via their own gas station which results in us having to pay more for gas, just for the chance that that will correct the problem. Since it is unreliable, I use my own car so I don't get stranded. I would not recommend a Ford product due to them not willing to correct the issue.

Correct the gas gauge problem. Provide a loaner vehicle with a gas gauge that works.

My Explorer
By Jennifer

2005 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I was driving a minivan, but since I am a younger mom, I wanted something more "my age". I finally talked my husband into an Explorer. I love it. I have a mineral gray one and got the DVD system installed. My kids LOVE it. They call it Dora the Explorer. I love how it handles and the view from the driver's seat.

I love the seating and the ease of folding the middle and last row down. I like how the car handles and the suspension.

I do not like how you can not see much behind you, which comes with owning an SUV. I know that there is a reverse-sensing system, but we don't have one.

Ford Believer
By mingo333

2005 Ford Explorer SUV Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Previous vehicle was a Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited. Thought I would get another one ('05), but changed mind after driving and comparing Jeep and Explorer. (Doesn't hurt that both my husband and son are "Ford men"). Am so happy with '05 that I've already gone to dealership to check into getting an '06. Got good price on Explorer after negotiation, but sure wish I had waited and cashed in on all the incentives that have been occurring lately -- but who knew, right? Also test drove and considered an Acura MDX, Mercedes SUV, Chevy Tahoe, Honda Pilot, Toyota 4-Runner, Cadillac Escalade (in addition to Jeep Grand Cherokee) but the Explorer ultimately won out.

Moon roof, heated seats, center "storage" area (in addition to console), power outlets, large cargo area, roomy interior, easy handling, push button 4X4,and seat/pedal memory.

Make the Navigational system standard and a slightly more powerful engine. (Although even lower gas mileage would probably be the evil trade-off there.)

Disappointment!
By ebyers

2005 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 4WD 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 5A)

Ford has made 5 attempts at fixing my rear end and 3 attempts at fixing my transmission. This problem has existed for years in many models. Why can't Ford be honest and either fix the problem & stop making substandard vehicles.

So sick over this entire ordeal that I really don't like any portion of the car any more.

Stop making a product that does not produce anything but problems for their LOYAL consumers.