Used 2005 Ford Explorer SUV Consumer Reviews - 149 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2005 Ford Explorer SUV

View reviews for a specific Explorer model:

Great dependable vehicle, bulletproof
By JohnnyMartin

2005 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Well I sold my 1997 Ford Explorer with 292,000 that was an excellent car and bought an 05 with 4x4. My job is very hard on my car. I drive up the side of mountains, through mud holes, over steep sharp rocks, and through swampy areas. My Explorer has been in the Rocky Mountains, Nebraska fields, and Wyoming plains in winter covered in snow. I put an average of 40,000 miles a year on my Ford. I now have 62,000 miles and my Explorer has always gotten me home. I hit a large mudhole one night at 3am and spun the truck sideways and i hit a pole, nearly rolled it, smashed 2 windows, my hood, a fender, and 1 tire. I patched the tire and it got me home 30 miles. Very dependable.

Power of the 4.0 V6, very comfortable seats, strong transmission, tough suv, built to be used.

Maybe a better 4x4 system, for people like me. We depend on them to work well. It has never failed me just maybe an option for locking differentials and MT tires.

The leather seats need to be recalled
By Frost

2005 Ford Explorer SUV XLT Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Overall I enjoy my Explorer, however the leather on my seats is cracking and worn. The interior looks a lot older than a 2005 suv. It looks more like 1994. This is a problem for me because of my line of work and the clients I drive around from time to time. My exterior is always nice and clean. The cracking leather seat take away from my style.

I like the interior height and the room. I also enjoy the third row seat.

Upgrade the leather seats. It will complete the sleek look. I plan to trade this suv in because of the cheap leather seats. I am looking at other SUV's. Fix my seats and I may consider staying with My Explorer. Need to get better gas mileage.

Poor Quality Control
By San Cooper

2005 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Ford SUV was my 9th new var, first American car and first SUV. Initially I was very happy with the purchase. After the first service, It is one of the worst buys I have ever done. -Transmission cracked - Brakes failed (replaced pads, rotors resurfaced) - Leather of the seat replaced as it cracked. Number of miles on the SUV is 5800. Will never ever buy FORD vehicle. Very poor quality control.

The way it looks which appealed to me.

Improve Quality Control. Do QA at all steps.

Just Average
By Jeff

2005 Ford Explorer SUV XLT Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I bought my Explorer about 6 months ago. It's a decent car for the money, though I do have my gripes about it. The biggest problem I have is that the leather seats have already worn a lot, and the car only has 8K miles on it. I had a 2000 Mountaineer with 80K miles on it and those seats were in better condition than this one already. Also, my mom has an SUV with a V8 and she's getting better gas mileage than me ... Ford could stand to take a few notes there.

Nothing really stands out to me, but I wish I would have opted for the reverse sensing system.

Use a different type of leather on the seats. Even after the dealer "detailed" the leather for me for free, it still looks really worn. Other than that, Ford should look to GM or Toyota and see how to improve the gas mileage of this vehicle.

Completely satisfied
By Rob W

2005 Ford Explorer SUV Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 5A)

I enjoy driving the Explorer when my wife lets me. This is our 5th SUV and 4th Explorer. I tested the Toyota 4Runner and Honda Pilot but chose this truck because I do some towing and have had great success with this model. We cart our 2 golder retrievers around a lot and they seem comfortable when we lower all the rear seats. I'm not necessarily a Ford person since our other vehicle is a Toyota Matrix but I rely heavily on consumer magazines and websites when we are doing research for a new vehicle.

Space, power, and interior layout.

Accelerator is touchy and can squeal the tires when pulling into traffic from a dead stop. Also, the rear cargo deck is not completely flat with the seats folded down.