Used 2005 Ford Explorer SUV Consumer Reviews - 147 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2005 Ford Explorer SUV

View reviews for a specific Explorer model:

Not All That Great
By Jim

2005 Ford Explorer SUV Eddie Bauer 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Underpowered, fuel eating V-6. Not very comfortable to drive, blinker lights go to signal detent too easily when you select them for changing lanes. R\rear window wiper switch hard to locate and turn on. Power seat buttons hard to operate without opening door. You can feel the torque converter or something like it when you slow down from 70 to 55; same with going down a steep hill. Rear hatch leaks when it rains. All in all in my opinion this is not such a great vehicle for the money.

Dual air, back up alarm.

Move rear window switch to an easier to get at location, need more clearance between seats and door panel. Put some more oomph in that sickly little V-6; if you are going to get lousy mileage you should have something to show for it. Rear hatch is a real bear to close.

Awesome!
By Acb

2005 Ford Explorer SUV XLS 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I was pleasantly surprised when I test drove my Ford. It has everything I need or want in a vehicle - with the exception of good gas mileage. I can now take my whole family on road trips! I traded in my 2005 Mustang for the Explorer and I am very happy - they get the same gas mileage anyway - and I will be safer in the winter when I can take full advantage of the 4WD and there is sooo much more room!

It's a FORD, it looks beautiful, the running boards, the reclining back seats, the third row seats, the middle console in front, the power driver seat lumbar support, lighted vanity mirrors, the fog lamps, the sun roof; it is a great comfortable family vehicle-more style than a minivan. =)

Do something about the gas prices and we will all be ok.

Eddie Bauer
By Jim H.

2005 Ford Explorer SUV Eddie Bauer 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

This is my first SUV. The Eddie Bauer is a great looking truck, with great interior room and features. I like sitting high and the view over other vehicles.

The audio system, view of the road, rear back-up sensor, rear heating/cooling system.

Very poor gas mileage, especially with E85, which gets a third less mileage than gas. The mileage is so bad that I don't take the car on trips. The vehicle rides very roughly. I would prefer a softer ride. The front seat cupholders are too large and have openings that allow the cups to tip.

Great dependable vehicle, bulletproof
By JohnnyMartin

2005 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Well I sold my 1997 Ford Explorer with 292,000 that was an excellent car and bought an 05 with 4x4. My job is very hard on my car. I drive up the side of mountains, through mud holes, over steep sharp rocks, and through swampy areas. My Explorer has been in the Rocky Mountains, Nebraska fields, and Wyoming plains in winter covered in snow. I put an average of 40,000 miles a year on my Ford. I now have 62,000 miles and my Explorer has always gotten me home. I hit a large mudhole one night at 3am and spun the truck sideways and i hit a pole, nearly rolled it, smashed 2 windows, my hood, a fender, and 1 tire. I patched the tire and it got me home 30 miles. Very dependable.

Power of the 4.0 V6, very comfortable seats, strong transmission, tough suv, built to be used.

Maybe a better 4x4 system, for people like me. We depend on them to work well. It has never failed me just maybe an option for locking differentials and MT tires.

The leather seats need to be recalled
By Frost

2005 Ford Explorer SUV XLT Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Overall I enjoy my Explorer, however the leather on my seats is cracking and worn. The interior looks a lot older than a 2005 suv. It looks more like 1994. This is a problem for me because of my line of work and the clients I drive around from time to time. My exterior is always nice and clean. The cracking leather seat take away from my style.

I like the interior height and the room. I also enjoy the third row seat.

Upgrade the leather seats. It will complete the sleek look. I plan to trade this suv in because of the cheap leather seats. I am looking at other SUV's. Fix my seats and I may consider staying with My Explorer. Need to get better gas mileage.