Used 2004 Ford Explorer Consumer Reviews - 360 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2004 Ford Explorer

View reviews for a specific Explorer model:

Never again
By vr2usone

2004 Ford Explorer XLT Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

This is my first Ford and I will never again purchase another. My problems are small but trying to find parts is a pain and there's not an easy fix. The visors, the seat, the crack in the back are all common complaints for this make and model and Ford refuses to acknowledge these defects or offer an expensive fix. Each part I need starts out at $100 and goes up. If I can ever find some cheap replacement parts I'm going to fix them and trade this vehicle in for a Chevy.

Ford Tough
By jerguyntx

2004 Ford Explorer XLT Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Aside from the throttle body being replaced the day after I bought my vehicle (Bought Used @ 31,000 miles) has been a great vehicle. Replaced brakes and tires around 67,000 miles now reaching 100,000 miles and the only thing that has happened is the replacement of the Temperature module (Leaking Radiator fluid). Doing a lot of city driving so I'm maxing about 14MPG, but get 21 - 21.5 on long trips. (Austin to Dallas) I can't fault my explorer in anyway. Paid it off in 2011 two full years early. Kudos to me. :-)

gorage door opener compartment, AutoMagic lights (think the sensor should be more sensitive), Digital Compass, and my added CarPuter for GPS, Movies and Music.

Explorer; poor choice; get a pilot or something
By tabbies

2004 Ford Explorer XLT 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Bought used in 09 w/ 80k+ miles. Now 105k. Poor fuel economy; I avg. 15 city, 16-17 highwy(67-77mph) UGLY interior. It's fine @ first but look at it for a while and you be sickened. Speaking of sickening; the tire noise @ high speeds is very. My kid had a stomach bug, and one or the other; tire noise or ugly interior finally made him give. I was about to follow suit. Heat failed, leaving us w/ 1 georgia winter and no heat. Drive/powertrain= reliable, luxurys(audio is funky too)=not. It WILL get u from place-to-place, but w/ @ a high price(not $).
Don't recommend. (shifts are jerky but u get used to it, easy to maneuver, no cargo room w/ seats up, stick with 1.5-3k rpm for best perfor/effici

Easy to maneuver, outside is easy to look @, never any drive/powertrain problems, always starts,

Everything I ask, is now on the 2012 model. more fuel economy, more cargo room, more room, smaller engine, 6speed trans, no AWD, which after is pointless, all that jazz.

NOT Getting My Money's Worth Anymore
By wnyfordguy

2004 Ford Explorer XLT 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Since my 1st review 1 yr and 8 mos ago, it has cost over $4500 to maintain this SUV.
Don't get me wrong - it's still very functional & great to drive. It's never left me stranded. But only
15k miles more (67k) of soft driving turned it into a money pit.
Best ($$$) Goodyear Fortera TripleTred tires only lasted 29k, lots of brake work, rear bearings (fronts went at 50k), and last & certainly not least, just got a rebuilt tranny.
I've owned 12 Fords since 1984, not one a lemon, but this comes the closest.
Don't buy one of the '02-'06 models unless you have $$$ to spend on repairs.

Still the same: very smooth ride, roomy 3rd-row seat, awesome CD/cassette sound system, super-bright high-beams, comfortable/roomy interior, temp/compass display.

Ford should be ashamed of themselves for building such a faulty transmission, and then not recalling it. I'm sure they didn't because it would cost them millions. I feel bad for those who bought one of these because of the high marks earlier Explorers got (like my '97), and now can't afford to fix it. Costly parts like brakes & bearings fail way too early in the product life cycle - they need to be more heavy duty for those owners in the NE USA.

Ford vehicle
By Kathy

2004 Ford Explorer Limited Rwd 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 5A)

I purchased this vehicle w/40,000 mil. on it. Had to return to dealer within 1 month with transmission problems. The transmission has had problems ever since. All the dash lights keep coming on from abs, airbag, 4wd to engine light. Rear end problems as well as bearings. I loved my first explorer which was a 95 and I never replaced a thing, drove it to 200,000 mil and it still ran. This vehicle is a lemon, I hate it. Can't wait to replace it. Side mirrors don't work, back up alarm doesn't work, tranny slips, noisy and has been to the garage 2 times for quitting and not re-starting. I know many people with the same problems as mine. I feel the ford quality has really slipped!

I like the fact that it moves well in the snow. Never had a problem getting stuck. Tows small trailer well.

Transmission, rear end, bearing. Many other problems that really need addressing.