Used 2003 Ford Explorer SUV Consumer Reviews - 336 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2003 Ford Explorer SUV

View reviews for a specific Explorer model:

Ford lost another customer
By bgdbooboo

2003 Ford Explorer SUV XLS 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I purchased this SUV with 60.000 miles on it. Within 1 year the rear differential died, ac compressor, transmission rebuilt, wheel bearings, ball joints, brakes on all 4 corners. Multiple other maint items. All that said the transmission is shot again and the rear is whining and chattering again. I'm a single parent of two. One of which is handicapped. I cannot afford any of these repairs anymore and will never buy another explorer.

Comfortable ride and plenty of room for me my kids and my sons wheelchair

I've owned fords since I was a kid and never had any problems. They need to go back to building quality cars like they used to along time ago instead of this garbage.

Do not buy a 2003 Ford exploder
By Bigjimmy

2003 Ford Explorer SUV Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 5A)

Since I purchased this car used for $11K Ive spent another $12k in repairs; the transmission needed to be rebuilt; the engine a moth later; both rear bearings went out causing the knuckles to get damaged; I've replaced the A/C compressor THREE TIMES in 3 years; the fuel pump went out ; the wiring is bad; the stereo has CDs in its changer that will never come out again; the check engine light goes on every two weeks or so; the tailgate has a crack where the (Fix Or Repair Daily) emblem is and it gets lousy mileage costing me about $100.00 a week in gas alone just to drive to work. I HATE this car; but thanks to all the money I've spent fixing it, I can't afford to buy something else.

I Hate this car but can no longer afford to buy another car thanks to all the repairs. I am Terrified to drive it in traffic. My wife and two children have had to be towed home no less than 4 times!

A long trip off a tall cliff?? About five sticks of TNT and some THERMITE?

FORD fan for life! :)
By Karen

2003 Ford Explorer SUV XLT Sport 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

We bought this car [used] five years ago with 22,000+ miles on it. It has served us perfectly well in all of this time until its untimely demise in an auto accident a few days ago. I walked away from the accident with not one scratch. With an impact of more than 45 MPH, it could have been much, much worse. "Built FORD tough..." Yes INDEED! In addition to the car itself, the fact that Ford did not take any of the government stimulus money keeps me faithful to such a sturdy and independent organization. Sure, nobody's perfect, but FORD is perfect for me! I am in the market for a new car and am searching far and wide for another FORD to call my own! :)

Third row seating, safety features, 4WD options, sound system, smooth ride and overall family friendly styling.

Improved gas mileage would be about my only suggested improvement.

Tailgate Recall
By Bob

2003 Ford Explorer SUV Eddie Bauer AWD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

They need to recall the tailgate on this model for design defects relating to the crack at the emblem. Dealer says no. If not a design defect, why the design before and after this year include only the glass that would lift. Nearly every vehicle of this type has the crack at the emblem located on the tailgate. Can be fixed to the tune of nearly $800 at my cost.

couldn't believe
By Cynic

2003 Ford Explorer SUV Eddie Bauer AWD 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 5A)

couldn't believe that I would love an American built car/truck so much. no major issues, owned for 6 yrs. rides good (knock on wood), handles good, reliable (again knock on wood - don't want to jinx myself). :-)

AWD and V8 capability, as well as the seating. I'm unstoppable, fast, and comfortable doing it.

gas, but i think in the 2010 model, that is resolved a bit.