Used 2003 Ford Explorer SUV Consumer Reviews - 340 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2003 Ford Explorer SUV

View reviews for a specific Explorer model:

Very Good Truck!
By MrZeke

2003 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 4WD 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 5A)

I bought mine used with 72K miles. I fell in love with it soon as I drove it. I've been driving it now for 2 years without any major problems(only routine maintenance). I have driven this truck everywhere and through tons of snow and it has performed like a true champ!I have pulled other trucks through snow with no problem. The 4WD is awesome. It is truly built Ford tough!

The 4WD. I love it when it snows. Gives me a chance to show off!

Better Gas, and quieter engine during high RPM.

Ford is the best
By Robert

2003 Ford Explorer SUV XLS 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

With all those reviews about this truck being crap, I had to write my review, I am the original owner of this truck and has had no problems at all, I put 116,000 miles on it and it runs awesome, the transmission shifts great the engine runs just like the day I got it. Also the 4x4 system works great too. This thing held up to hitting a 300 lb deer and came out with just a few things that needed to be replaced (headlight, grill) nothing major, this thing is like a tank it just won't stop I love this truck and am going to continue to drive it to the day it dies!

i love the engine transmission interior basically the whole truck

just to get a little better gas mileage but i am getting about 15 mpg with e 85 in it so I'm getting fairly decent fuel economy when it comes to that.

Drive/transmission issues
By Greg

2003 Ford Explorer SUV Eddie Bauer 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Just returned from a trip and the O/D light started flashing. All recommendations from Ford service and independents state that a transmission change is required. Very expensive since happened at 106,000 miles. This is on top of just replacing the rear differential bearings,and wheel bearings that Ford service said were bad. All this after the extended warranty was up. The rear differential fix was done 18 months prior the first time while under warranty. Far too many problems with this drive train.

Interior and exterior appearance is very good. Has been comfortable to ride.

Best SUV
By Lucky STL

2003 Ford Explorer SUV XLT AWD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Haven't had it long, but was able to review repair history. Basic maintenance only. Rear plastic cracked, but happens to everyone. Extremely solid ride, just as comfortable. Love the car, although too soon to report any big problems I don't know about yet. Would suggest the car to anyone looking into one as of now. Opening up the sunroof and windows makes for a pleasant ride on a cool day. Paint looks great for it's age, and the interior is totally clean. A best buy!

Sunroof, CD Player & AM/FM (sounds AWESOME!), Keyless Entry, Alarm, Auto-Lock, Auto-Unlock, Auto-Headlights, keypad entry system, GREAT AC, Digital Compass, Fair MPG for the size

The gas mileage is less than perfect. However, anyone interested in purchasing a vehicle of this size, or has ever owned one, would know this is the way it is. We're not driving a Prius for a reason!! I average 18mpg on mine, but I am gentle on the gas pedal.

Long Lasting
By Matt

2003 Ford Explorer SUV Eddie Bauer 4WD 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 5A)

Our explorer has lasted about 100,000 miles with only minor things break. One of the hydraulic lifts for the glass lift gate falls out of it's hole and a wood insert on the door fell out. Everything else is still very good.

DVD player and leather seats

Needs to get better fuel economy.