Used 2003 Ford Explorer Consumer Reviews - 337 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2003 Ford Explorer

View reviews for a specific Explorer model:

Excellent Vehicle after 7 Years
By Andre

2003 Ford Explorer XLT 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

After reading through the Cons. Reviews on this site, I felt the need to comment on my bullet proof Ford Explorer. I am at 99,900 miles and have had not one problem and the engine and smooth transmission still perform like the day I bought it. Before my daughter's try outs for a local perf. arts school, her clarinet lessons were a necessity. Through major snow storms that kept most in their homes, we were able to tackle the snow and ice with ease and still make it to her lessons. The ride and handling are exemplary and the hwy ride is very quiet-my family and I feel no pressure to speak up during front-to-3rd convers. I follow the maint. guide and it will likely serve me well for many more..

Ride, Handling (better than my Pathfinder), Quietness, Solid Build Quality (No rattles or damaged components after 7 yrs), Reliability, Passenger Space (even in 3rd row), User-Friendly, Convenient compartments and many cup holders, Hwy Ride, Stereo (Very Nice Sound), Versatility (Simple Seating Adj)

None

Middle of The Road
By Stephanie

2003 Ford Explorer Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 5A)

We bought our Explorer with 7 years and 80k on it. I did my research before buying the truck. I knew there were problems with the transmissions along with a list of other known problems. Our truck seems to have no transmission issues. It shifts very smoothly. Of course, it could have already been replaced. The one problem that we are having is it loses coolant. Every few days I have to add water to it. Have not had it diagnosed, but will be soon. My husband worries that it is going into the engine which will cost some major bucks for an engine rebuild. At this time we are hoping that is not what it is. I love my truck. It rides good, is comfortable, and looks good.

ride, comfort, stereo, leather quality, wheels

hatch plastic cracking, GAS MILEAGE! I get about 12 in the city! My husbands Tahoe gets 15, that's ridiculous.

Very Good Truck!
By MrZeke

2003 Ford Explorer XLT 4WD 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 5A)

I bought mine used with 72K miles. I fell in love with it soon as I drove it. I've been driving it now for 2 years without any major problems(only routine maintenance). I have driven this truck everywhere and through tons of snow and it has performed like a true champ!I have pulled other trucks through snow with no problem. The 4WD is awesome. It is truly built Ford tough!

The 4WD. I love it when it snows. Gives me a chance to show off!

Better Gas, and quieter engine during high RPM.

Ford is the best
By Robert

2003 Ford Explorer XLS 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

With all those reviews about this truck being crap, I had to write my review, I am the original owner of this truck and has had no problems at all, I put 116,000 miles on it and it runs awesome, the transmission shifts great the engine runs just like the day I got it. Also the 4x4 system works great too. This thing held up to hitting a 300 lb deer and came out with just a few things that needed to be replaced (headlight, grill) nothing major, this thing is like a tank it just won't stop I love this truck and am going to continue to drive it to the day it dies!

i love the engine transmission interior basically the whole truck

just to get a little better gas mileage but i am getting about 15 mpg with e 85 in it so I'm getting fairly decent fuel economy when it comes to that.

Drive/transmission issues
By Greg

2003 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Just returned from a trip and the O/D light started flashing. All recommendations from Ford service and independents state that a transmission change is required. Very expensive since happened at 106,000 miles. This is on top of just replacing the rear differential bearings,and wheel bearings that Ford service said were bad. All this after the extended warranty was up. The rear differential fix was done 18 months prior the first time while under warranty. Far too many problems with this drive train.

Interior and exterior appearance is very good. Has been comfortable to ride.