Used 2003 Ford Explorer Consumer Reviews - 337 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2003 Ford Explorer

View reviews for a specific Explorer model:

My awesome Explorer
By pfeifer29

2003 Ford Explorer XLS Sport 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

This truck is like superman! Unfortunately, we almost had to sell it because one of the timing chain guides broke. But, our friends a mechanic and fixed it so it's good as new. Our's is a mineral grey, and it still sounds as powerful and solid as it did back in 2003. This interior is made of woven material rather than leather, because most fabrics cause me irritation. But it has a killer sterio system and refuses to get stuck in anything. It does not seem like it only gets 99 on the highway, and it's not a gas hog. I recommend one to anyone who needs room for children, or just likes big trucks.

2003 ford explorer xls
By jl_curtis

2003 Ford Explorer XLS AWD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

i have owned my explorer since 2004 when i bought it from the dealership. it now has 169,000 miles on it and still going since it is my daily driver. i have had no problems, other than the back plastic panel, but it was hit by a baseball when it broke, the engine and transmision both are strong and smooth and running very well. would recmond to anyone.

Tranny problems/Cracked lift gate
By mlong30

2003 Ford Explorer XLT 4WD 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 5A)

I have had my explorer for eight months. It has a cracked lift gate which is obviously a known problem and has to have the tranny replaced at 127k miles this is a known problem and Ford refuses to take care of it. Read consumer reviews befor buying

Put a tranny dipstick on the truck

Tranny Nightmare
By demo_derby

2003 Ford Explorer XLT 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Flashing OD light and service engine soon come on at 62K miles while my son is driving to prom.
Dealer makes us wait 4 days to get in the shop.
They have it all day, never call, when I call them they ask to call back in a few minutes.
They claim lots of transmission diagnostic codes (though when I pick up vehicle service engine light is still on and no sign that anyone tested anything).
They want 4000 to replace transmission plus tell me I have a frozen caliper.
I take care home, pull front wheels, caliper isn't frozen but metal on metal on inside of brakes (they checked 2K miles back and said no issue).
Car still going with bad tranny for now, I replaced the brakes, no more Fords.

Car is comfortable and has tons of room.

Handles poorly in snow, boaty on it's best day, poor visibility at night without turning on fog lamps, tranny issues, passenger side tire wear is bad (was also in the Mazda Navajo we used to own, another Ford mess). Brakes always an issue, rotors constantly warping. We have low mileage on this thing and gave it to my new driver son after tranny issues to let him drive it into the ground. Ford needs to own up to their transmission problems and make good with their customers or they will have none.

transmission problems--cracked REAR panel (2 cracks)
By marie517

2003 Ford Explorer XLT AWD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I have replaced TWO transmissions in the past 2 years--there are 2 cracks on the rear panel door--I have seen soo many other vehicles(Ford Explorers)
with the same cracks!!

WHAT IS FORD DOING ABOUT THIS..I CALLED AND COMPLAINED TO FORD AND THEY SAID THEY HAVE NO RECALLS OR ISSUES ON THIS.[violative content deleted]

NONE

GET IT TOGETHER FORD..IF U WANT CUSTOMERS THAN DEAL AND TAKE CARE OF THEM!!