Used 2002 Ford Explorer SUV Consumer Reviews - 381 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Ford Explorer SUV Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Explorer model:

Still Going Strong After 16+yrs and 280,000 miles
By Johnny

2002 Ford Explorer SUV XLS 2WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

It is rare for an SUV to last for so long and for so many miles, but this Ford has been defying the odds! I have taken this SUV to numerous states as well as all over Mexico. Many car mechanics, when they change my oil, are stupefied because how long this SUV has lasted and has not needed any major repairs. Many of my friends made fun of me when I bought my 'exploder' (their words), but they have had to buy 3 cars during the time I have had my Ford since their cars kept on breaking down on them. Thank you, Ford, for such an amazing vehicle. I am proud to say I am a Ford owner.

CAR BUYING
By cynthia daniels

2002 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

The Ford Explorer is a very good , safe and reliable car. Yes it is a 2002 and I had it for 6 years and just sold it. I fought wit myself to not sell my baby. Never had a problem with it starting in the winter, traction was very good going around the S curve on lake shore drive. The engine is awesome , would have liked to put in my new explorer. Overall I am gonna miss this car. It had a good run with me and will continue for it;s new owner. Love this car.

254,000 mile V8 beast!
By Matthew Richeal

2002 Ford Explorer SUV Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I absolutely love my Explorer. It definitely isn’t the prettiest SUV anymore because I live in the North and rust eats our vehicles for breakfast, but she’s still running strong with 254,000 miles on it. The V8 is a gas guzzler.

Oddly enough, the heated seats work, but the regular heat, does not. All the speakers, stereo, subwoofer, everything electronic works. Sunroof works but does leak some water when it rains really hard.

Transmission still shifts really well but can knock sometimes when changing from first to second depending on how hard to push it.

Leather and interior pieces are still in fantastic condition.

Overall, it’s a nice SUV, especially if you can find them cheap like I did. I’m hoping to get one more year out of it, but that’ll probably be its death because Pennsylvania is strict on rust and my frame is about shot.

2002 Explorer XLT with 137,200 miles
By M.M.

2002 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Drive it on the highway and stop and go traffic. Listen for clunks and note any shifting problems. This one was fine, dealer serviced all it's life. If it shifts "funny" or is clunky shifting from forward to reverse then stay far away. Mine was fine. One problem noted was that in 4X4 High at low speed turns of the steering wheel on pavement over 40 degrees turning caused a clunky sound that "appears" to come from the front end but likely from the rear. Leaving in 4X4 Auto and it went away. Only use 4x4 high on pavement if not turning the steering wheel beyond 35 degrees to right or left or likely clunky sound will happen. Other than that I like the car a lot. This is the first Ford I have owned in over 30 years. I will see how it works out. Word of advice; if you purchase one, change the oil, rear end grease and transmission fluid ASAP.

2002 explorer
By M cos

2002 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

A good choice for those who live in snow prone winter areas. Great tow vehicle. Engine is smooth and reliable. Ride is fairly smooth. This vehicle has always started on first try in even sub zero weather.