Used 2002 Ford Explorer Consumer Reviews - 378 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2002 Ford Explorer

View reviews for a specific Explorer model:

What a RIP OFF!
By Rachael

2002 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I have had problems for the past 2 years w/ this vehicle. I have replaced 3 wheel bearings w/ in the past year and now they are loose again. I have the infamous rear panel crack, replaced fuel pump, replaced intake manifold, replaced fuel line, had starter problems, rear passenger door does not lock, door ajar light will not stop (WD40 is a temporary fix). I am afraid to drive it because the check engine light is always on. This truck is high maintenance. Ford Motor company does nothing to help. Basically every month I make a payment I feel like I am being robbed. CHECK OUT ALL REVIEWS BEFORE BUYING THIS SUV.

Nothing.

I thing they should scrap the whole design and save people a lot of aggravation and money.

the money pit!
By lisa

2002 Ford Explorer XLT 2WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I fell in love with the "look" of the explorer xlt, and had always heard that Ford built a good vehicle. Everything started out great. But, around 70,000 miles that all started to change. I have replaced 6 wheel bearings, rebuilt the transmission, changed window switch, the interior lights works only when they want too, heat doesn't work anymore, volume knob is broken, clicking noise coming from dash, 4x4 doesn't work, trim started fading to quick, leather seats don't hold up, rear passenger door won't lock and after all this the transmission is going out again. Don't waset your money on what is now known as the Ford exploder.

Looks good sitting in my driveway.

Only build quality products or, don't put it out there for consumers to spend there hard earned money on.

Extremely reliable
By robt

2002 Ford Explorer Limited 2WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Purchased this car new and have had VERY few problems. Computer went out at 130,000. Bearings could stand to be replaced now (still on original set), I change the oil myself with high grade (purple magic) oil and 10K filter regularly at every 10K miles. Changed differential and coolant for first time last week. I have never serviced the sealed transmission on a mechanics advice. What more can I say. I couldn't kill this thing if i wanted. I would take it to Alaska tomorrow.

Climate control, storage area, fold down rear seats, styling.

Because the car last so damn long I wish they had made the driver seat a bit more comfortable.

Great Mid-size SUV
By KCAttorney

2002 Ford Explorer Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Bought this SUV with V6 in summer of 2007 with 95K miles on it. Sold it in November 2009 with 130K miles to a friend's daughter who just turned 16. It still looks great, interior & exterior. Only repairs during that time were 2 rear wheel bearings and the rear AC door actuator. Other people complain about having to repair items like wheel bearings at "only" 90K miles. Come on, be realistic. Once a car gets over 50K miles, it's going to need repairs from time to time. This SUV offers a great overall package. I've had 3 Explorers now and had good luck with all 3. They aren't perfect, but I've had several other SUV's also, and the Explorer is a great truck. That's why I've owned 3.

Good 4x4 system, good price, lots of luxury amenities, leather held up well, good exterior styling, 7 passenger seating, reliable, comfortable. Sunroof, power pedals, 6 disk in dash CD changer, rear AC, good seat heaters.

Like everyone else says, should get 3 or 4 mpg more based on size.

very good truck
By big_guy

2002 Ford Explorer XLS 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

very nice to drive not exactly used for normal things but took every thing i put it through got it with 33000 on it and now have 230000 and still going

every thing