Used 2002 Ford Explorer SUV Consumer Reviews - 379 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2002 Ford Explorer SUV

View reviews for a specific Explorer model:

Fantastic SUV
By susy

2002 Ford Explorer SUV XLS 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

I love my explorer. So far, no problems. I'm better satisfied with this Ford than I have with all of my former purchases. Exactly what I was looking for and couldn't be happier.

The placement of the dashboard features and the comfort of the air, seats and overall bigness. Love the 3rd seat.

The handles that you use to pull yourself into the SUV could be moved, maybe closer to the windshield. My daughter hits her head every time she gets inside.

Heavy Duty Clutch!
By ranger Ed

2002 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

The heavy duty clutch is a loser! The first one went out at approx. 60k. Then it went out in Feb '10 and I still can't get a replacement because Ford stopped making that clutch. I guess even they knew how bad it was. I'm currently working with a clutch specialty shop in California to try and build a clutch from scratch.

Do Not Purchase
By susanconn

2002 Ford Explorer SUV Limited 2WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

This car has been nothing but trouble since we purchased it. The transmission has been rebuilt, wheel bearings replaced, and now the o/d off light is blinking, the service engine light is on and the ABS warning light is on. Apparently the o/d off light blinking means our transmission is not functioning properly again.

very dependable
By Craig

2002 Ford Explorer SUV XLS 2WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

vehicle has 72,000 miles on it and I've only replaced the tires and rear brakes...this SUV has been good to me but, then again, I don't drive like a maniac and change the oil every 4,000 miles.

sturdiness and exterior appearance

none

Break Downs
By Dan

2002 Ford Explorer SUV Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

With less than 90,000 miles, I have replaced four wheel bearings, rear coil springs and struts, four wheel drive module, "Transmission" and now the starter. This is the worst ford I have ever owned, and Ford will not stand behind any of my break downs. I have owned fords all my driving life and this is the last one. I have over $6,000.00 in repairs to this vehicle in just under a year.

Stand behind your product.